Ukraine Seeks IMF Bailout As Prime Minister Resigns
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | December 5, 2012 8:48 AM EST
Ukraine faces economic uncertainty amid the resignation of Prime Minister Mykola Azarov and his cabinet as the country prepares for talks with foreign lenders on financial assistance.
Azarov officially stepped down Monday, though President Viktor Yanukovich asked him to stay on in an interim capacity to handle upcoming negotiations this week with the International Monetary Fund.
Azarov has spent the past two-and-a-half years trying to jumpstart Ukraine’s ailing economy, ridden with debt and shrinking amidst falling exports and a weakened currency.
Representatives from the IMF are expected to arrive in Kiev on Dec. 7 to discuss the terms of any potential financial assistance.
The Ukrainian government is hoping to pay off $6.4 billion of its $58 billion debt with IMF loans, while the IMF is demanding that Kiev raise gas and heating prices to reduce the national deficit, according to the Reuters news agency.
Azarov has previously rejected pressure from the IMF to implement widely unpopular austerity measures as a condition of a bailout package.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Canada’s Anti-Prostitution Law Soon: Critics Call it Draconian
- ACT Party's Demand to Re Consider Maoris Privileges Evokes Reprimand
- Opinion Poll in New Zealand Shows National Party Far Ahead in Popular Support
- “Women should not laugh in public” - Turkish Deputy PM says
- Iran Leader Asks Muslims to Supply Arms to Palestine, Calls Israel ‘Rapacious Wolf’
- Selena Gomez Allegedly Back in Rehab, Hugs Nat Wolff the Night Justin Bieber & Orlando Bloom Made Headlines in Ibiza
- Girls Star Allison Williams to Play Titular Role in NBC's Peter Pan Live
- Kendall Jenner Forbids Sister Kim Kardashian from Attending her Fashion Shows, Considers her Presence a Hindrance - Reports
- Kendall Jenner Ignores Kim Kardashian Big Time, Tries to Befriend Beyonce - Reports
- Apple Mac Remains Strong Despite Challenging PC Market, iPhone Remains a Winner Through Q3 Price Points