Ukraine Seeks IMF Bailout As Prime Minister Resigns
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | December 5, 2012 8:48 AM EST
Ukraine faces economic uncertainty amid the resignation of Prime Minister Mykola Azarov and his cabinet as the country prepares for talks with foreign lenders on financial assistance.
Azarov officially stepped down Monday, though President Viktor Yanukovich asked him to stay on in an interim capacity to handle upcoming negotiations this week with the International Monetary Fund.
Azarov has spent the past two-and-a-half years trying to jumpstart Ukraine’s ailing economy, ridden with debt and shrinking amidst falling exports and a weakened currency.
Representatives from the IMF are expected to arrive in Kiev on Dec. 7 to discuss the terms of any potential financial assistance.
The Ukrainian government is hoping to pay off $6.4 billion of its $58 billion debt with IMF loans, while the IMF is demanding that Kiev raise gas and heating prices to reduce the national deficit, according to the Reuters news agency.
Azarov has previously rejected pressure from the IMF to implement widely unpopular austerity measures as a condition of a bailout package.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- New Zealand and China Decide to Boost Defence Ties
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Russian Govt Found Tinkering Wikipedia Crash Info
- Scientists Warn MERS Virus Could be Spread Airborne
- British PM Cameron Urges Tough Sanctions Against Russia
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales