Ukraine Seeks IMF Bailout As Prime Minister Resigns
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | December 5, 2012 8:48 AM EST
Ukraine faces economic uncertainty amid the resignation of Prime Minister Mykola Azarov and his cabinet as the country prepares for talks with foreign lenders on financial assistance.
Azarov officially stepped down Monday, though President Viktor Yanukovich asked him to stay on in an interim capacity to handle upcoming negotiations this week with the International Monetary Fund.
Azarov has spent the past two-and-a-half years trying to jumpstart Ukraine’s ailing economy, ridden with debt and shrinking amidst falling exports and a weakened currency.
Representatives from the IMF are expected to arrive in Kiev on Dec. 7 to discuss the terms of any potential financial assistance.
The Ukrainian government is hoping to pay off $6.4 billion of its $58 billion debt with IMF loans, while the IMF is demanding that Kiev raise gas and heating prices to reduce the national deficit, according to the Reuters news agency.
Azarov has previously rejected pressure from the IMF to implement widely unpopular austerity measures as a condition of a bailout package.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- Australia Races Against Potential Genocide In Iraq
- Ukraine Crisis: Putin Dangles Nuclear War Threat, US Senators Advise Sending Defensive Weapons
- James Foley Is A Spy – Jihadi Recruiter Reveals
- Kiwi Couple Sues Lawyers for Denial of Holiday Perk in Luxury Resort
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports