Channing Tatum Taking 2013 Off; Working On 'Magic Mike' Sequel And Evil Knievel Biopic
By Tom Herrmann | December 5, 2012 7:18 AM EST
Don’t expect to see sequels to “21 Jump Street” or “The Vow” soon; Channing Tatum is taking a year off in 2013.
The actor named sexiest man alive for 2012 by People magazine is removing himself from the spotlight to work on a project. The “Magic Mike” actor is taking time to find a project to direct and produce along with Reid Carolin, reports Entertainment Weekly.
Tatum is looking to be a partner with Reid Carolin, who wrote the screenplay for “Magic Mike.” The duo is working on an Evil Knievel biopic and a “Magic Mike” sequel during his time off.
“[Reid and I] have about three to four ideas that we love that are all in the hopper. By the end of next year, we’re going to shut things down and write the first thing that we’re going to direct,” says Tatum, according to EW. “We’re going to be like, alright, no more acting parts for a minute, let’s take a few and really get caring about that section of our career.”
A year off for Tatum is a well-deserved break, after the A-lister starred in three major movies this year alone. The ladies of the world shouldn’t fret, either, because Tatum’s IMDB page has four movies listed for him in 2013.
After playing Duke In “G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra” in 2009, Tatum will reprise his role in in “G.I. Joe: Retaliation” next summer. He will also star in “Foxcatcher, “Side Effects” and “White House Down” throughout 2013.
“I love the steps that I’ve taken acting-wise. That has been a wild sort of exploration,” EW claims Tatum says. “But I don’t want to just keep putting [directing] off for these fun and incredible opportunities.”
The upcoming drama “Side Effects” is directed by Steven Soderbergh, who Tatum gives credit to in regard to honing his talents.
“I don’t think Reid and I would have the balls to try to make a movie without learning what we did from Soderbergh and [‘Magic Mike’ assistant director] Greg Jacobs,” he says. “It was like a crazy crash course Cliff Notes on directing and how to make movies, literally get them done. We had a ‘Matrix’-style download, like a plug in the back of the head and bloop! I know Kung Fu now.”
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Queen Elizabeth and Kate Middleton Clash Again: Duchess Scared of Difficult Pregnancy, Adopting Second 'Royal' Baby - Reports
- The Bold and the Beautiful Spoilers for July 31, 2014: Plans, Conditions and Ultimatums in B&B [WATCH VIDEO]
- Supernatural Season 10 Spoilers: Metatron Capable of Saving Castiel's Fading Grace
- The Bachelor Australia: Tim, Anna Relationship Update
- Kate Middleton & Prince William Vacation Plans: Visit Prince Charles & Camilla Parker-Bowles
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools