Channing Tatum Taking 2013 Off; Working On 'Magic Mike' Sequel And Evil Knievel Biopic
By Tom Herrmann | December 5, 2012 7:18 AM EST
Don’t expect to see sequels to “21 Jump Street” or “The Vow” soon; Channing Tatum is taking a year off in 2013.
The actor named sexiest man alive for 2012 by People magazine is removing himself from the spotlight to work on a project. The “Magic Mike” actor is taking time to find a project to direct and produce along with Reid Carolin, reports Entertainment Weekly.
Tatum is looking to be a partner with Reid Carolin, who wrote the screenplay for “Magic Mike.” The duo is working on an Evil Knievel biopic and a “Magic Mike” sequel during his time off.
“[Reid and I] have about three to four ideas that we love that are all in the hopper. By the end of next year, we’re going to shut things down and write the first thing that we’re going to direct,” says Tatum, according to EW. “We’re going to be like, alright, no more acting parts for a minute, let’s take a few and really get caring about that section of our career.”
A year off for Tatum is a well-deserved break, after the A-lister starred in three major movies this year alone. The ladies of the world shouldn’t fret, either, because Tatum’s IMDB page has four movies listed for him in 2013.
After playing Duke In “G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra” in 2009, Tatum will reprise his role in in “G.I. Joe: Retaliation” next summer. He will also star in “Foxcatcher, “Side Effects” and “White House Down” throughout 2013.
“I love the steps that I’ve taken acting-wise. That has been a wild sort of exploration,” EW claims Tatum says. “But I don’t want to just keep putting [directing] off for these fun and incredible opportunities.”
The upcoming drama “Side Effects” is directed by Steven Soderbergh, who Tatum gives credit to in regard to honing his talents.
“I don’t think Reid and I would have the balls to try to make a movie without learning what we did from Soderbergh and [‘Magic Mike’ assistant director] Greg Jacobs,” he says. “It was like a crazy crash course Cliff Notes on directing and how to make movies, literally get them done. We had a ‘Matrix’-style download, like a plug in the back of the head and bloop! I know Kung Fu now.”
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Kate Middleton First Official Solo Trip: Details For Malta Tour Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Big Bang Theory’ Season 8 Spoiler: Revelation Of Reason Why Penny, Leonard ‘Not’ Getting Married Soon
- Katy Perry's Date Riff Raff At MTV VMAs: Top 5 Things To Know About The Rapper
- ‘True Blood’: Identity Of Sookie’s Husband In Final Episode Thank You Revealed
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Spoilers: Juice Ratting Gemma Out To Jax, Unser Helping New Sheriff
- ‘Game of Thrones’ Season 5 Spoilers: Cersei Lannister – Possible Deviation From The Books
- Apple on iPhone 6 Release Date One Week After September 9 Despite Display Shortage Starting $800
- James Foley Video Had A Change Of Actor – Expert Points Out
- Why Moto X is Not the Best Smartphone to Purchase Now?
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini vs. LG G3 S (aka LG G3 Beat, LG G3 Mini) – Specs, Features And Price Showdown
- European Central Bank Advises Action to Boost Demand and Employment In EU