Channing Tatum Taking 2013 Off; Working On 'Magic Mike' Sequel And Evil Knievel Biopic
By Tom Herrmann | December 5, 2012 7:18 AM EST
Don’t expect to see sequels to “21 Jump Street” or “The Vow” soon; Channing Tatum is taking a year off in 2013.
The actor named sexiest man alive for 2012 by People magazine is removing himself from the spotlight to work on a project. The “Magic Mike” actor is taking time to find a project to direct and produce along with Reid Carolin, reports Entertainment Weekly.
Tatum is looking to be a partner with Reid Carolin, who wrote the screenplay for “Magic Mike.” The duo is working on an Evil Knievel biopic and a “Magic Mike” sequel during his time off.
“[Reid and I] have about three to four ideas that we love that are all in the hopper. By the end of next year, we’re going to shut things down and write the first thing that we’re going to direct,” says Tatum, according to EW. “We’re going to be like, alright, no more acting parts for a minute, let’s take a few and really get caring about that section of our career.”
A year off for Tatum is a well-deserved break, after the A-lister starred in three major movies this year alone. The ladies of the world shouldn’t fret, either, because Tatum’s IMDB page has four movies listed for him in 2013.
After playing Duke In “G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra” in 2009, Tatum will reprise his role in in “G.I. Joe: Retaliation” next summer. He will also star in “Foxcatcher, “Side Effects” and “White House Down” throughout 2013.
“I love the steps that I’ve taken acting-wise. That has been a wild sort of exploration,” EW claims Tatum says. “But I don’t want to just keep putting [directing] off for these fun and incredible opportunities.”
The upcoming drama “Side Effects” is directed by Steven Soderbergh, who Tatum gives credit to in regard to honing his talents.
“I don’t think Reid and I would have the balls to try to make a movie without learning what we did from Soderbergh and [‘Magic Mike’ assistant director] Greg Jacobs,” he says. “It was like a crazy crash course Cliff Notes on directing and how to make movies, literally get them done. We had a ‘Matrix’-style download, like a plug in the back of the head and bloop! I know Kung Fu now.”
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5 Filming Spoilers: Beardless Rick Grimes Seems To Be On The Set
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 1, 2014: Hope Reveals Something To Wyatt And Katie Almost Loses A Loved One [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'The Bachelor Australia' Season 2 Preview: Someone Drops The L Bomb, Marriage Proposal In Season Finale
- ‘Orange is the New Black Story’ Season 3 Update: New Corrections Officer To Be Introduced, Likely To Take Pornstache's Position At Litchfield Penitentiary
- “American Horror Story” Season 4 Spoilers: Emma Roberts' Maggie And Evan Peters’ Jimmy Darling To Be In A Romantic Relationship
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks