Channing Tatum Taking 2013 Off; Working On 'Magic Mike' Sequel And Evil Knievel Biopic
By Tom Herrmann | December 5, 2012 7:18 AM EST
Don’t expect to see sequels to “21 Jump Street” or “The Vow” soon; Channing Tatum is taking a year off in 2013.
The actor named sexiest man alive for 2012 by People magazine is removing himself from the spotlight to work on a project. The “Magic Mike” actor is taking time to find a project to direct and produce along with Reid Carolin, reports Entertainment Weekly.
Tatum is looking to be a partner with Reid Carolin, who wrote the screenplay for “Magic Mike.” The duo is working on an Evil Knievel biopic and a “Magic Mike” sequel during his time off.
“[Reid and I] have about three to four ideas that we love that are all in the hopper. By the end of next year, we’re going to shut things down and write the first thing that we’re going to direct,” says Tatum, according to EW. “We’re going to be like, alright, no more acting parts for a minute, let’s take a few and really get caring about that section of our career.”
A year off for Tatum is a well-deserved break, after the A-lister starred in three major movies this year alone. The ladies of the world shouldn’t fret, either, because Tatum’s IMDB page has four movies listed for him in 2013.
After playing Duke In “G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra” in 2009, Tatum will reprise his role in in “G.I. Joe: Retaliation” next summer. He will also star in “Foxcatcher, “Side Effects” and “White House Down” throughout 2013.
“I love the steps that I’ve taken acting-wise. That has been a wild sort of exploration,” EW claims Tatum says. “But I don’t want to just keep putting [directing] off for these fun and incredible opportunities.”
The upcoming drama “Side Effects” is directed by Steven Soderbergh, who Tatum gives credit to in regard to honing his talents.
“I don’t think Reid and I would have the balls to try to make a movie without learning what we did from Soderbergh and [‘Magic Mike’ assistant director] Greg Jacobs,” he says. “It was like a crazy crash course Cliff Notes on directing and how to make movies, literally get them done. We had a ‘Matrix’-style download, like a plug in the back of the head and bloop! I know Kung Fu now.”
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- "Game of Thrones" Season 5 Spoilers -- Arya Stark’s New Costume, Mace Tyrell And Tycho Spotted On The Sets
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Sept. 19, 2014: Hope Needs To Decide If She Will Stay With Wyatt Or Go With Liam [WATCH VIDEO]
- The Pirate Bay Founder Peter Sunde’s Freedom: Hollywood People Oppose TPB Founder’s Imprisonment
- The Bachelor Australia’ Season 2 Spoilers: Curly Hair Bachelorette’s Exit In Episode 16, Blake Talks About Laurina And Why He Rubbed His Eye
- 'Dancing With The Stars' (DWTS) Season 19 (2014) Week 2 Spoilers: Things To Expect; Find Out Which Choreographer Is Quitting
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Unofficial ‘Samsung Galaxy Alpha’ Can Now Be Purchased For $700 In The US
- Google Now v. Siri v. Cortana – Comparison Of The Three Leading Virtual Assistants
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Canada Consumer Alert: Costco No Longer Accepting American Express Cards Starting Jan 1
- Sony Xperia E3 vs. Moto G (2014) – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Amazon Announces Kindle Fire HD 6, Kindle Fire HD 7 Tablets; Official Release Date Is Oct 2