Channing Tatum Taking 2013 Off; Working On 'Magic Mike' Sequel And Evil Knievel Biopic
By Tom Herrmann | December 5, 2012 7:18 AM EST
Don’t expect to see sequels to “21 Jump Street” or “The Vow” soon; Channing Tatum is taking a year off in 2013.
The actor named sexiest man alive for 2012 by People magazine is removing himself from the spotlight to work on a project. The “Magic Mike” actor is taking time to find a project to direct and produce along with Reid Carolin, reports Entertainment Weekly.
Tatum is looking to be a partner with Reid Carolin, who wrote the screenplay for “Magic Mike.” The duo is working on an Evil Knievel biopic and a “Magic Mike” sequel during his time off.
“[Reid and I] have about three to four ideas that we love that are all in the hopper. By the end of next year, we’re going to shut things down and write the first thing that we’re going to direct,” says Tatum, according to EW. “We’re going to be like, alright, no more acting parts for a minute, let’s take a few and really get caring about that section of our career.”
A year off for Tatum is a well-deserved break, after the A-lister starred in three major movies this year alone. The ladies of the world shouldn’t fret, either, because Tatum’s IMDB page has four movies listed for him in 2013.
After playing Duke In “G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra” in 2009, Tatum will reprise his role in in “G.I. Joe: Retaliation” next summer. He will also star in “Foxcatcher, “Side Effects” and “White House Down” throughout 2013.
“I love the steps that I’ve taken acting-wise. That has been a wild sort of exploration,” EW claims Tatum says. “But I don’t want to just keep putting [directing] off for these fun and incredible opportunities.”
The upcoming drama “Side Effects” is directed by Steven Soderbergh, who Tatum gives credit to in regard to honing his talents.
“I don’t think Reid and I would have the balls to try to make a movie without learning what we did from Soderbergh and [‘Magic Mike’ assistant director] Greg Jacobs,” he says. “It was like a crazy crash course Cliff Notes on directing and how to make movies, literally get them done. We had a ‘Matrix’-style download, like a plug in the back of the head and bloop! I know Kung Fu now.”
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ian Somerhalder–Nina Dobrev Reunion Not Happening: 'The Vampire Diaries' (TVD) Star Is 'Falling In Love' With Nikki Reed—Report
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Evictee Jason Rose Opens Up About His Family’s Acceptance of His Sexuality, Cat and Lawson’s Illicit Love Affair [VIDEO]
- 'Arrow' Season 3, Episode 3 Spoilers: Merlyn vs Queen; Thea Reborn; Felicity Smoak Gets New Boss [Watch Arrow 3x03 Promo Video]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ Spoilers For Oct. 23: Find Out What Happens When Phyllis Meets Kelly
- Ian Somerhalder Girlfriend: 'Twilight' Actress Nikki Reed Heads Back To Los Angeles Solo, Spotted Partying With Michelle Rodriguez At A Fashion Event
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China