Boeing forecasts first $100 billion aircraft finance market
December 5, 2012 4:49 AM EST
Buyers of commercial jetliners are likely to draw more financing from capital markets in 2013, as the value of jet sales rises about 9.5 percent to a record $104 billion (64 billion pounds), Boeing Co
Capital markets will account for about 14 percent of total jet financing, up from 10 percent this year, Boeing said in an annual forecast. About 95 percent of the total is divided between Boeing and Airbus
The credit markets are filling a gap caused by diminished lending by export-credit agencies, which will finance only about 23 percent of total sales in 2013, down from 30 percent this year, the report said.
Buyers also will rely more on commercial banks, the report said.
The share of financing by commercial banks is expected to grow to 28 percent from 21 percent, with cash purchases staying steady at about 25 percent of the total.
"This year began amid concerns that Europe's commercial banks, a primary aircraft financing source, would pull out of the market due to the continent's economic crisis," said Kostya Zolotusky, managing director of capital markets development at Boeing Capital Corp.
But the fears did not materialize, and Boeing expects Europe's banks will remain active in 2013 because the aircraft finance "is one of the most attractive and high-performing sectors for bank investments," Zolotusky said.
The added financing by banks and capital markets "is necessary to gradually reduce reliance on export credit as higher fees and equity requirements" required by new rules take effect, he said.
(Reporting by Alwyn Scott)
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Hearsays: Possible Evidence Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People
- NVIDIA Shield Gaming Tablet with Tegra K1 SoC Reported to be Released on July 29
- BlackBerry Passport Video Leak, Release Date, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate [Watch YouTube Clip] --Reports