Boeing forecasts first $100 billion aircraft finance market
December 5, 2012 4:49 AM EST
Buyers of commercial jetliners are likely to draw more financing from capital markets in 2013, as the value of jet sales rises about 9.5 percent to a record $104 billion (64 billion pounds), Boeing Co
Capital markets will account for about 14 percent of total jet financing, up from 10 percent this year, Boeing said in an annual forecast. About 95 percent of the total is divided between Boeing and Airbus
The credit markets are filling a gap caused by diminished lending by export-credit agencies, which will finance only about 23 percent of total sales in 2013, down from 30 percent this year, the report said.
Buyers also will rely more on commercial banks, the report said.
The share of financing by commercial banks is expected to grow to 28 percent from 21 percent, with cash purchases staying steady at about 25 percent of the total.
"This year began amid concerns that Europe's commercial banks, a primary aircraft financing source, would pull out of the market due to the continent's economic crisis," said Kostya Zolotusky, managing director of capital markets development at Boeing Capital Corp.
But the fears did not materialize, and Boeing expects Europe's banks will remain active in 2013 because the aircraft finance "is one of the most attractive and high-performing sectors for bank investments," Zolotusky said.
The added financing by banks and capital markets "is necessary to gradually reduce reliance on export credit as higher fees and equity requirements" required by new rules take effect, he said.
(Reporting by Alwyn Scott)
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs iPhone 6: Why Forecasts Favor Mi4 as The Next Best Phone Against iPhone 6
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists
- Companies Push Back IPO Plans Due to Mega Alibaba Share Launch
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Release Date Update: 4 Feature Upgrades That Really Matter