This Morning's Chris Steele Diagnosed with Skin Cancer
By Toyin Owoseje | December 5, 2012 4:31 AM EST
This Morning doctor Chris Steele has been diagnosed with skin cancer.
The GP, who has been advising viewers on their aches and ailments on the show for 24 years, revealed he has been diagnosed with melanoma, 16 years after he was first treated for it.
During an appearance on ITV's daytime show, the 67-year-old health professional admitted that he have developed the disease as a "result of over-exposure to the sun and sunbeds".
"Back in 1996 I had skin cancer on the left side of my cheek which was removed and I was left with a hole in my cheek about the size of a fifty pence piece and a skin surgeon stitched the edges together and you can't see where it's been," he told hosts Phillip Schofield and Holly Willoughby.
"A few years later my wife said 'you've got a mark on your back just the same as your face', and I went back to see the guy and yes, it was another skin cancer - a different type to the other one I had on my face. Then two weeks ago, I found a mark on my leg.
"I went to the specialist again and yes, it was skin cancer and my whole body was checked.
"I was told I've got more on my face - an early stage of skin cancer."
The father-of-four, who also suffers from osteoarthritis, went on to warn viewers about soaking up the sun abroad over the festive season.
"As many viewers will have been abroad soaking up the sun this year, they should be skin-aware. If you have any marks on skin that have been exposed to the sun's rays and that mark is slowly growing, then let your GP have a glance at it," he said.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ebola: American Doctors in Liberia Trying Out New Methods
- 5 Deadly Reasons to Stay Away From Soda (Watch Video)
- Low-Carb Diet Helps Reduce Risk of Heart Disease, Aids Weight Loss; A Look At Celebs Who Adopted The Diet
- Boxing News 2014: 12 Days to Mayweather-Maidana Rematch; Money May’s Bikram Yoga Routine Includes Placing $100 Bills Around Mat
- Bill Clinton Credits Sugar-Free Diet For Weight Loss: A Vegan Diet If Not Followed Properly Can Cause Weight Gain
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones