This Morning's Chris Steele Diagnosed with Skin Cancer
By Toyin Owoseje | December 5, 2012 4:31 AM EST
This Morning doctor Chris Steele has been diagnosed with skin cancer.
The GP, who has been advising viewers on their aches and ailments on the show for 24 years, revealed he has been diagnosed with melanoma, 16 years after he was first treated for it.
During an appearance on ITV's daytime show, the 67-year-old health professional admitted that he have developed the disease as a "result of over-exposure to the sun and sunbeds".
"Back in 1996 I had skin cancer on the left side of my cheek which was removed and I was left with a hole in my cheek about the size of a fifty pence piece and a skin surgeon stitched the edges together and you can't see where it's been," he told hosts Phillip Schofield and Holly Willoughby.
"A few years later my wife said 'you've got a mark on your back just the same as your face', and I went back to see the guy and yes, it was another skin cancer - a different type to the other one I had on my face. Then two weeks ago, I found a mark on my leg.
"I went to the specialist again and yes, it was skin cancer and my whole body was checked.
"I was told I've got more on my face - an early stage of skin cancer."
The father-of-four, who also suffers from osteoarthritis, went on to warn viewers about soaking up the sun abroad over the festive season.
"As many viewers will have been abroad soaking up the sun this year, they should be skin-aware. If you have any marks on skin that have been exposed to the sun's rays and that mark is slowly growing, then let your GP have a glance at it," he said.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- 5 Food Scandals That Shocked The World
- Iran Leader Asks Muslims to Supply Arms to Palestine, Calls Israel ‘Rapacious Wolf’
- Nexus 6 Likely Confirmed as Motorola 5.9-Inch Phablet on Release Date – Report
- MH17: Shrapnel Hits Plane, Russia Calls for UN-led Investigation