This Morning's Chris Steele Diagnosed with Skin Cancer
By Toyin Owoseje | December 5, 2012 4:31 AM EST
This Morning doctor Chris Steele has been diagnosed with skin cancer.
The GP, who has been advising viewers on their aches and ailments on the show for 24 years, revealed he has been diagnosed with melanoma, 16 years after he was first treated for it.
During an appearance on ITV's daytime show, the 67-year-old health professional admitted that he have developed the disease as a "result of over-exposure to the sun and sunbeds".
"Back in 1996 I had skin cancer on the left side of my cheek which was removed and I was left with a hole in my cheek about the size of a fifty pence piece and a skin surgeon stitched the edges together and you can't see where it's been," he told hosts Phillip Schofield and Holly Willoughby.
"A few years later my wife said 'you've got a mark on your back just the same as your face', and I went back to see the guy and yes, it was another skin cancer - a different type to the other one I had on my face. Then two weeks ago, I found a mark on my leg.
"I went to the specialist again and yes, it was skin cancer and my whole body was checked.
"I was told I've got more on my face - an early stage of skin cancer."
The father-of-four, who also suffers from osteoarthritis, went on to warn viewers about soaking up the sun abroad over the festive season.
"As many viewers will have been abroad soaking up the sun this year, they should be skin-aware. If you have any marks on skin that have been exposed to the sun's rays and that mark is slowly growing, then let your GP have a glance at it," he said.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Sex Change Surgery Gets Enhanced Cover From US Insurance Firms: Obama Regime's Policy Change Became The Trigger
- Chilling: Ebola Spreads Through Sneeze and Cough Droplets And Toilet Seats
- Red Cross Aussie Nurse Says Australia’s Ebola Visa Ban Is Embarrassing
- From 30-Inch To 16-Inch Waistline, Woman Shrinks Self With Corset [Video]
- New Zealand Develops New Drug To Fight 'Superbugs'
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery
- 8 Important Things to Consider Before Buying or Upgrading to iPad Air 2