Could Kate Middleton Be Expecting Twins? Her Condition, Hyperemesis Gravidarum, Sometimes Linked To Twins
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | December 5, 2012 3:51 AM EST
Excitement has been predictably high since news first hit on Monday that the Duchess of Cambridge, Kate Middleton, is pregnant, but new details about the medical condition the Duchess is suffering from could suggest that royalists will have even more to cheer about.
According to medical experts the condition Middleton is being hospitalized for, Hyperemesis Gravidarum, is a dangerous type of morning sickness that could be an indication the Duchess is pregnant with twins.
"Their Royal Highnesses the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge are very pleased to announce that the Duchess of Cambridge is expecting a baby," a rep for St. James’ Palace announced on Monday. "The Queen, the Duke of Edinburgh, the Prince of Wales, the Duchess of Cornwall and Prince Harry and members of both families are delighted with the news."
"The Duchess was admitted this afternoon to King Edward VII Hospital in Central London with Hyperemesis Gravidarum," the palace continued in a statement. "As the pregnancy is in its very early stages, Her Royal Highness is expected to stay in hospital for several days and will require a period of rest thereafter."
The potentially dangerous condition, characterized by severe vomiting that results in dehydration, reportedly affects only 2 percent of pregnant women, and less than 1 percent are ever hospitalized for it. Ashley Roman, an obstetrician and maternal-fetal medicine specialist at NYU’s Langone Medical Center, told ABC News that a study conducted on the condition found that women pregnant with multiple babies have an elevated chance of experiencing Hyperemesis Gravidarum; 7.5 percent higher than women pregnant with only one child.
The condition is also more likely to appear in women who are young, pregnant for the first time, and non-smokers. Roman added that the condition wasn’t likely to affect the health of the fetus and in most cases, the symptoms tended to resolve within 16 to 20 weeks into pregnancy. However, Roman added that in some rare cases the symptoms persisted throughout the entire duration of the pregnancy.
It’s not known exactly how far along Middleton’s pregnancy is, but Middleton is thought to be less than three months pregnant, because the palace suggested she had originally been planning to make an announcement at around that milestone.
Both the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge are 30; the child will be the first for both of them. While the palace has not released any official updates on Middleton's condition, Prince William was photographed by CBS visiting Middleton on her second day in the hospital.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Headache: Rx – Sex 3X A Day
- Bardarbunga Volcano In Iceland Erupts With Brightly Coloured Lava Under Northern Lights [Watch Video]
- A Jawbone Found In Sydney Beach Has Been Matched To An 800-Year Old Skull
- George, The Goldfish Underwent Surgery To Remove Brain Tumour - Watch Video
- Human Faces are so Variable Because we Evolved to Look Unique, Finds Study
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet
- Spice Dream Uno vs Xiaomi Redmi 1S: Android One Smartphone to Challenge The Existing Budget Friendly Smartphone