Naked Duke of Cambridge Statue Protest Man Dan Motrescu Jailed
By Dominic Gover | December 5, 2012 3:45 AM EST
A naked man who climbed on top of a Whitehall statue as part of a protest has been jailed.
Dan Motrescu brought traffic in the busy thoroughfare by Downing Street to a standstill. His stunt lasted nearly three hours.
The 29-year-old mounted the bronze statue of the Duke of Cambridge and tore off his clothes. He then ripped a sword from the statue's hand and began brandishing it.
Bemused onlookers were treated to the Ukrainian national striking a series of poses atop the bronze effigy of Prince William's predecessor to the Duchy of Cambridge.
Emergency crews attending the scene, including medics, coaxed Motrerscu, of no fixed abode, down from his chilly perch.
At Westminster magistrates court he was convicted of criminal damage, possession of an offensive weapon and a Section 5 public order offence.
He was jailed for three months.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ISIS Blasts 'Scorpion Bombs' At Civilian Areas In Iraq; Mosul Residents Living In Fear
- Sydney Siege Aftermath: Australia's Gun Laws May Be Under Review
- Australian Muslim Says Sorry for Sydney Siege
- Sweden Launches Website To Crack Down On Child Sex Tourists
- Rupert Murdoch Blasted For 'Insensitive' Tweet Over Bloody Outcome of Sydney Siege