Naked Duke of Cambridge Statue Protest Man Dan Motrescu Jailed
By Dominic Gover | December 5, 2012 3:45 AM EST
A naked man who climbed on top of a Whitehall statue as part of a protest has been jailed.
Dan Motrescu brought traffic in the busy thoroughfare by Downing Street to a standstill. His stunt lasted nearly three hours.
The 29-year-old mounted the bronze statue of the Duke of Cambridge and tore off his clothes. He then ripped a sword from the statue's hand and began brandishing it.
Bemused onlookers were treated to the Ukrainian national striking a series of poses atop the bronze effigy of Prince William's predecessor to the Duchy of Cambridge.
Emergency crews attending the scene, including medics, coaxed Motrerscu, of no fixed abode, down from his chilly perch.
At Westminster magistrates court he was convicted of criminal damage, possession of an offensive weapon and a Section 5 public order offence.
He was jailed for three months.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Fate of MH370, MH17 Trigger Mass Resignation of Crew in Malaysia Airlines
- ISIS $3 Million Daily Oil Revenues Fund Operations; Obama to Build International Coalition to Widen Assault
- British Cleric Accused of Urging James Foley Executioner; Predicted ISIS Will Fight in the West
- Centerplate CEO Des Hague Caught Abusing Dog In Vancouver Building Elevator [VIDEO]
- Boyfriend's Welcome Home Tribute In Candles Destroys His House
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Confirmed as Apple Sets Sept 9 iWatch, 2 iPhones Intro - Report
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- ISIS Wants $6.6M and Release of Aafia Siddiqui in Exchange of Head of Female US Humanitarian Aid Worker, 1st American Fighting for Jihadis Dead
- Ukraine Ceasefire Looks Remote As Putin Talks Tough At Meeting With Poroshenko