Superkid Praises Rodgers’ Spanish Management Style
By Vanessa Keller | December 5, 2012 2:30 AM EST
Brendan Rodgers has a style reminiscent of a Spanish manager, according to Suso, with the youngster claiming that he has been a very positive influence on the senior team as they look to get back into contention for European and domestic titles.
The Reds haven't qualified for the Champions League since the 2008/09 season, and are desperate to get back into the top four and show that they are capable of producing the type of football that saw them at the top of the English league in the 1980s.
And Suso, who got his opportunity for Liverpool's first team this season and has shown he is capable of the pressure, says that Rodgers is showing qualities that remind him of coaching direction he takes back in native Spain.
"He pays attention to detail," he told the Daily Mirror. "If the team makes mistakes in a game, or if he thinks something was wrong tactically.
"He'll try to fix it by running through those plays again in training. This way we don't make the same faults again. He's like a Spanish manager.
"He ensures that the players have the ball at almost all times during our training sessions. This is a good tip for anyone - if you're always touching the ball, your control will improve.
"It's not a method you associate with English football training."
Meanwhile, Rodgers had special praise for a more senior Spaniard in the Liverpool squad this week, with Jose Enrique making his mark on the first team after struggling with injury and fitness at the start of the season.
Enrique showed that he is capable of doing what is necessary to impress the manager, and Rodgers said of the left-back: "I felt that he was someone with tremendous ability, but I think its massive credit to him how he's taken on board the chats that we've had and the messages we've given him. He's listened and taken it on board, and that's to his enormous credit.
"I think the spell on the left side has made him feel that he can actually get into the box and be a threat in that way.
"When I came here, I wanted my full-backs to do that, to get up there and join in up there. That's vital.
"Jose never really did that at first, to be honest, but now you see he's had that spell on the side, and when you move him back on... I thought he was sensational.
"He looks more aggressive, and it's fantastic for him. He will be very important in our way of working in the future."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- Boxing News 2014: Showtime VP Favours Pacquiao As Mayweather’s Next Ring Opponent; Money May Insists Fight Should Be Over Showtime PPV Only
- Three Reasons Why Brock Lesnar Must Fight The Undertaker At Night Of Champions And Not John Cena [VIDEO]
- Michael Schumacher Rehabilitation Update: F1 Champion In-Home Health Care And Services Consist Of 15 Medical Staff
- Rafael Nadal’s Coach Reveals The Spanish Athlete Will Be Back On Court Soon
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MF 370: Indonesian Police Chief Claims He Knows What Happened To Missing Jet