Happy Birthday Jay-Z: Hov Celebrates His 43rd B-day, First Since Blue Ivy Carter
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | December 5, 2012 2:25 AM EST
Today is Jay-Z's birthday, as anyone who has listened to “The Black Album” will surely recall. He turns 43 today, and will surely ring in the occasion in true Brooklyn style.
But it's an even more special day than usual for Jigga, as it's his first birthday since his wife Beyonce gave birth to their adorable daughter, Blue Ivy Carter.
Featuring Jay's smooth raps and the voice of his mother, Gloria Carter, the song relays the tale of her “special child” coming up, from his birth through his early development as a rapper. Here's what Gloria Carter says at the outset of the song, where she describes his birth on Dec. 4, 1969:
“Sean Carter was born December 4th,
Weighing in at 10 pounds 8 ounces,
He was the last of my 4 children,
The only one who didn't give me any pain when i gave birth to him,
And that's how i knew that he was a special child.”
But that's just the beginning of the odyssey from little kid in the projects to international superstar that Jay-Z has followed in his life.
As for his current status, he is riding high this year. Sean Carter and Beyonce gave birth to their first child, daughter Blue Ivy Carter, on Jan. 7, 2012, and she seems to be an absolute bundle of joy for them. He even released the song “Glory,” featuring Blue Ivy Carter's infantile cries, just two days after she was birth, in which he discussed the happiness of having a child.
Hov is also now the partial owner and essentially the mascot of the Brooklyn Nets NBA basketball team, which played their first game earlier this season at the brand-new Barclays Center, just a stone's throw from his Marcy Projects childhood home.
Jigga is also still involved with his highly-successful Rocawear clothing label, which has been going strong for years now.
So it seems that everything's going pretty great for Hova, and he continues to rise. He “went from Marcy to Hollywood,” as he says in one of his hit songs, and he's not done yet.
Jay took heat after returning to rap after “The Black Album,” which he said would be his last, but it appears he wasn't quite ready to “fade to black,” despite his boasts at the time that it was his retirement LP.
It seems there's a lot of time left yet before we hear the last of Sean Carter.
On that note, Happy Birthday, Jay-Z.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
Join the Conversation
- Hilarious Reactions For Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Secret Wedding: George Clooney, Jennifer Aniston, Billy Bob Thornton
- ‘Bachelor In Paradise’ Episode 6 Spoilers: Next Week Tests Relationships And Sees A Shocking Exit
- Mila Kunis-Ashton Kutcher Baby; Actor ‘Not Letting Mila Out Of His Sight’
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Exclusive New Trailer, Charlie Hunnam Is Guy Ritchie’s Choice For King Arthur [VIDEO]
- ‘Castle’ Update: Watch Stana Katic, Jon, Seamus Take Bucket Challenge At Season 7 Set, Nathan Fillion Missing [VIDEOS]
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- James Foley Torture Involves CIA Waterboarding Technique
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- ISIS Wants $6.6M and Release of Aafia Siddiqui in Exchange of Head of Female US Humanitarian Aid Worker, 1st American Fighting for Jihadis Dead
- Ukraine Ceasefire Looks Remote As Putin Talks Tough At Meeting With Poroshenko