UK Household Spending Crippled by Energy Bills
By Shane Croucher | December 5, 2012 1:39 AM EST
Bloating fuel bills drained household finances across the country as Britons made financial cutbacks across all other spending just to keep their homes lit and warm, according to official figures.
Britain's households spent an average of £483.60 a week in 2011, reported the Office for National Statistics (ONS), a figure that has fallen every year since 2006 when it was £541.20.
Spending on fuel and power bills soared by 12 percent, pushed up by volatile energy prices in a period that saw the cost of a barrel of Brent crude oil hit its most expensive ever.
It was the only sub-category of household spending to see a rise.
The data comes from the ONS Family Spending 2012 report, which adjusts prices in accordance with 2011's RPI numbers.
In 2008 the financial crisis triggered a domestic recession, and the economy is still in a painful downturn as it struggles to recover.
Recession-weary consumers, fearful for their jobs and hit by a high cost of living as well as stagnant wage growth, held back on spending to shore themselves up against any unforeseen personal financial disasters.
Other expenditure items, which the ONS said includes non-consumption spending such as mortgage protection premiums and council tax, fell by just over 24 percent, possibly suggesting people are opting to go without insurance or were newly receiving state support for certain bills.
Household goods and services spending saw the second biggest drop at slightly under 24 percent, while clothing and footwear outgoings came in third with a 21 percent plunge.
Food and drink, education, and leisure spending were all cut back between 2006 and 2011.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Australia's Low Birth Rate May Be Due to Low Confidence in Economy
- Fears Of Infection Spread Prompt Some US Hospitals To Refuse Ebola Patients
- Readers Slam a Book Showing That US Wealth And Power Rests on Slave Labour
- LG G Watch R To Be Available Globally Starting With Europe, North America And Asia Through Retail Sites And Play Store
- Young Teen Fighter Says ISIS Uses Drugs On Suicide Bombers To Get Them Perform The Act
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS