UK Household Spending Crippled by Energy Bills
By Shane Croucher | December 5, 2012 1:39 AM EST
Bloating fuel bills drained household finances across the country as Britons made financial cutbacks across all other spending just to keep their homes lit and warm, according to official figures.
Britain's households spent an average of £483.60 a week in 2011, reported the Office for National Statistics (ONS), a figure that has fallen every year since 2006 when it was £541.20.
Spending on fuel and power bills soared by 12 percent, pushed up by volatile energy prices in a period that saw the cost of a barrel of Brent crude oil hit its most expensive ever.
It was the only sub-category of household spending to see a rise.
The data comes from the ONS Family Spending 2012 report, which adjusts prices in accordance with 2011's RPI numbers.
In 2008 the financial crisis triggered a domestic recession, and the economy is still in a painful downturn as it struggles to recover.
Recession-weary consumers, fearful for their jobs and hit by a high cost of living as well as stagnant wage growth, held back on spending to shore themselves up against any unforeseen personal financial disasters.
Other expenditure items, which the ONS said includes non-consumption spending such as mortgage protection premiums and council tax, fell by just over 24 percent, possibly suggesting people are opting to go without insurance or were newly receiving state support for certain bills.
Household goods and services spending saw the second biggest drop at slightly under 24 percent, while clothing and footwear outgoings came in third with a 21 percent plunge.
Food and drink, education, and leisure spending were all cut back between 2006 and 2011.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
Join the Conversation
- Russia Invades Ukraine, Pro-Russian Rebels Create 'Second Front,' Obama Maintains No Military Action from US
- TEPCO Loses in Fukushima Suicide Case, Ordered to Pay $472,000 to Family
- Better Market Your Uranium Someplace Else, Japan Appetite No Longer Huge as Before – Former PM Tells Australia Queensland Premier Campbell Newman
- ISIS Wants $6.6M and Release of Aafia Siddiqui in Exchange of Head of Female US Humanitarian Aid Worker, 1st American Fighting for Jihadis Dead
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Firms Up as iWatch Rollout Delayed to Jan 2015 – Reports
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- James Foley Torture Involves CIA Waterboarding Technique
- Malaysia Airlines to Axe 4,000 Employees, Including CEO; Suspends Trading of Shares
- West Looks Divided in Tackling Russian Invasion In Ukraine
- North Korea Banker Who Manages Money of Kim Jong-un Defects to Russia With $5 Million