Porn Star Wiska Bids for EU Asylum after Ukraine Sleaze Crackdown
By Umberto Bacchi | December 4, 2012 10:50 PM EST
A Ukrainian porn star is seeking asylum in the EU, as she claims she is being prosecuted in her homeland due to her occupation.
Anastasia Gryshai, aka Wiska, fled to the Czech Republic with her children in 2010 after Ukrainian prosecutors opened an investigation against her, on charges of producing and distributing pornography.
However, at the end of a long bureaucratic process, Czech authorities have refused to give her shelter and are threatening to expel her from the country.
"I have been given 15 days to leave the country. They [Czech authorities] don't care that we can't go back to Ukraine," Gryshai, 26, told The Times while vowing to appeal to EU courts.
Pornography was banned in Ukraine by a law signed by former Ukraine President Victor Yushchenko in 2009. People found guilty of possessing, selling or disseminating pornography could face up to three years in prison.
The law raised widespread condemnation from critics who claimed it failed to properly define pornography, opening the door to misuse by authorities.
The investigation against Gryshai was opened following a complaint lodged by a local MP, angered at her TV appearances on talk shows.
Police found pornographic material on her husband's computer during a home raid. The man maintained it was for private use, while Gryshai said she had never shot a movie in Ukraine.
"They don't see the difference between storage and production," Gryshai told The Times.
"I was left alone with a child, worked as a model in various magazines. When I was asked to star in a porno movie I accepted because I needed the money. I have been trying to explain that I did not do it out of a love for the business but because I had to feed my son," she added.
Ukrainian feminist activist group Femen staged a demonstration in support of Gryshai in front of the Ukrainian Parliament in 2010.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
Join the Conversation
- Centerplate CEO Des Hague Caught Abusing Dog In Vancouver Building Elevator [VIDEO]
- The Most Insane Facts About The American Civil War That You May Not Know
- Viral Video Kevin Droniak Grandma: Teenager Shows Grandma Their Videos Together, Grandma Gives Priceless Reaction
- Major Highlights On 1400 Minor’s Sex Assault
- ISIS Video of Slain Syrian Soldiers Raises Doubts; Syrian Gov't Demands Release of Captured Troops
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- James Foley Torture Involves CIA Waterboarding Technique
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- ISIS Wants $6.6M and Release of Aafia Siddiqui in Exchange of Head of Female US Humanitarian Aid Worker, 1st American Fighting for Jihadis Dead
- Ukraine Ceasefire Looks Remote As Putin Talks Tough At Meeting With Poroshenko