UK to announce 5 billion pounds capital investment
December 4, 2012 10:42 PM EST
Britain's finance minister George Osborne will invest 5 billion pounds in schools, science and transport capital projects, the government said on Tuesday, funded by departmental savings across the next two-and-a-half years.
"We are committed to solving today's problems, but also preparing for tomorrow's challenges by investing in our future and equipping Britain for the global race," a Treasury spokesman said.
Osborne, struggling to complete a tough austerity programme to bring down British government borrowing, has come under pressure to do more to boost a flagging economy.
($1 = 0.6213 British pounds)
(Reporting by Matt Falloon and Mohammed Abbas)
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid