Swollen Gums a Sign of Erectile Dysfunction
By Hannah Osborne | December 4, 2012 10:16 PM EST
Men with inflamed gums caused by periodontal disease are three times more likely to experience erection problems.
Researchers from the Inonu University in Malatya, Turkey, looked at 80 men between the ages of 30 and 40 who suffer from erectile dysfunction.
They found that 53 per cent of the men had inflamed gums, compared to 23 per cent of the control group - which did not have erection problems.
Lead author Faith Oguz said: "Erectile dysfunction is a major public health problem that affects the quality of life of some 150 million men, and their partners, worldwide.
"Physical factors cause nearly two-thirds of cases, mainly because of problems with the blood vessels, with psychological issues like emotional stress and depression accounting for the remainder.
"Chronic periodontitis (CP) is a group of infectious diseases caused predominantly by bacteria that most commonly occur with inflammation of the gums.
"Many studies have reported that CP may induce systemic vascular diseases, such as coronary heart disease, which have been linked with erection problems."
The men studied had no significant differences in body mass index, income and education.
Their sexual function was assessed with the International Index of Erectile Function, a questionnaire that measures erectile dysfunction. Gum health was measured with a plaque index.
As there are a number of factors involved in erection problems, such as smoking, ageing, diabetes and coronary artery disease, the researchers excluded men who were smokers and those with systemic disease.
Results showed that men with severe periodontal disease are 3.29 times more likely to suffer from erection problems than their healthily gummed counterparts.
Erectile dysfunction is very common and it is estimated that half of men between 40 and 70 will experience it to some degree.
"We particularly selected men aged between 30 and 40 to assess the impact of CP on erectile dysfunction without the results being influenced by the effects of ageing," Oguz said.
"The result of our study supports the theory that CP is present more often in patients with erectile dysfunction than those without and should be considered as a factor by clinicians treating men with erection problems."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon
- Walmart Canada Feeling The Heat As Grocery War Intensifies
- Travel Alert: Frequent Flyer Tie-Up Between Virgin Australia, South African Airways Enhanced