North Carolina Prisoners Forced to Slather Hot Sauce Onto Testicles
By Hannah Osborne | December 4, 2012 9:42 PM EST
Guards at the Sampson Correctional Institution, North Carolina, have been accused of forcing inmates to rub Habanero Hot Sauce on their testicles.
Prisoners at the facility also say guards made them throw captured bunnies into oncoming traffic, kiss wild snakes, strip naked and pretend to have sex.
In a letter written by six inmates to the US District Court in Greensboro, they ask for assistance in finding lawyers to help them bring charges against the state.
They said the guards made them gulp 'Exotic Hot Sauce' and slather it on their genitals, which resulted in painful blisters.
If they performed for the guards, they would be rewarded with food, cigarettes, beer and preferential work assignments, the inmates said.
Sampson is a medium/minimum security prison and has the capacity for 464 inmates. It employs around 190 members of staff.
Pamela Walker, a spokeswoman for North Carolina's Department of Public Safety, said officials have asked the State Bureau of Investigation to review guards' conduct at the prison.
Walker said that since the letter, one prison staff member has been reassigned and another has gone on leave. The findings of the report are being kept confidential.
"Upon review of an internal investigation, (the Division of Adult Correction) has referred the inmate allegations to the SBI for their review and any subsequent actions they deem appropriate," she said.
"DAC considers the allegations to be serious and the alleged actions in violation of policy, which warrants further review by management."
Walker said the prison learned of the allegations through internal grievances filed by the inmates, not by the letter sent to the court.
US Magistrate Judge Joi Elizabeth Peake agreed to accept the letter as a formal federal civil rights action on 19 November.
However, she said she could not accept the handwritten letter of complaint in its current condition because of legal issues with its format and because it was not filed in the correct judicial district.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- Centerplate CEO Des Hague Caught Abusing Dog In Vancouver Building Elevator [VIDEO]
- Boyfriend's Welcome Home Tribute In Candles Destroys His House
- 'Boob Aid': Japanese Porn Stars 'Excited' For 24HR Breasts Squeezing Charity
- The Most Insane Facts About The American Civil War That You May Not Know
- Viral Video Kevin Droniak Grandma: Teenager Shows Grandma Their Videos Together, Grandma Gives Priceless Reaction
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Confirmed as Apple Sets Sept 9 iWatch, 2 iPhones Intro - Report
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- ISIS Wants $6.6M and Release of Aafia Siddiqui in Exchange of Head of Female US Humanitarian Aid Worker, 1st American Fighting for Jihadis Dead
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- Ukraine Ceasefire Looks Remote As Putin Talks Tough At Meeting With Poroshenko
- Windows 9 To Include Interactive Live Tiles and Notification Center in Metro 2.0