North Carolina Prisoners Forced to Slather Hot Sauce Onto Testicles
By Hannah Osborne | December 4, 2012 9:42 PM EST
Guards at the Sampson Correctional Institution, North Carolina, have been accused of forcing inmates to rub Habanero Hot Sauce on their testicles.
Prisoners at the facility also say guards made them throw captured bunnies into oncoming traffic, kiss wild snakes, strip naked and pretend to have sex.
In a letter written by six inmates to the US District Court in Greensboro, they ask for assistance in finding lawyers to help them bring charges against the state.
They said the guards made them gulp 'Exotic Hot Sauce' and slather it on their genitals, which resulted in painful blisters.
If they performed for the guards, they would be rewarded with food, cigarettes, beer and preferential work assignments, the inmates said.
Sampson is a medium/minimum security prison and has the capacity for 464 inmates. It employs around 190 members of staff.
Pamela Walker, a spokeswoman for North Carolina's Department of Public Safety, said officials have asked the State Bureau of Investigation to review guards' conduct at the prison.
Walker said that since the letter, one prison staff member has been reassigned and another has gone on leave. The findings of the report are being kept confidential.
"Upon review of an internal investigation, (the Division of Adult Correction) has referred the inmate allegations to the SBI for their review and any subsequent actions they deem appropriate," she said.
"DAC considers the allegations to be serious and the alleged actions in violation of policy, which warrants further review by management."
Walker said the prison learned of the allegations through internal grievances filed by the inmates, not by the letter sent to the court.
US Magistrate Judge Joi Elizabeth Peake agreed to accept the letter as a formal federal civil rights action on 19 November.
However, she said she could not accept the handwritten letter of complaint in its current condition because of legal issues with its format and because it was not filed in the correct judicial district.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- 2014 Meteor Shower: Where to Watch Delta Aquarids July 28-29 Peak Online, NASA Cameras Spotted Start of Perseid Meteor Shower
- Viral Wedding Photo: Amy Hicks Reveals True Story behind Viral Photo that Created Trending Hashtag on Twitter #westillcoming
- Six-Year-Old Canada girl Dies after Hit by Sedan in Crowded Store
- New Zealand-Born IDF Soldier Killed in Gaza Attack Amid Ceasefire Promises
- Volunteer Teen Rapes Orphans during Mission Trip
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Killer Whales Gobble Japanese Whaling Crew
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal
- 5 Marketing Nuggets We Can All Learn From Lady Gaga