RIP Harrison Kadell: Brisbane Teen Dies at Fiji Resort, 8 Things Off News Round-Up
By Arlene Paredes | December 4, 2012 4:23 PM EST
Students at St Thomas More College at Sunnybank in Brisbane are mourning the death of one of their own. Seventeen-year-old Harrison Kadell died of drowning in a resort pool in Fiji while celebrating schoolies with friends.
Here are EIGHT of the things we learned from the news round-up:
1. Kadell and three school friends were partying around a pool at the Plantation Island Resort, off Nadi, as part of schoolies celebrations, according to the police.
2. The young man was found dead at 4 a.m. Tuesday, December 4.
3. St Thomas More principal Peter Elmore told the media Harrison was "an outstanding student and outstanding athlete."
"This has rocked our community. We're deeply saddened and in grief at the moment," he told the AAP.
The school principal had been with Harrison's parents Tuesday. He said, "They are numb, in grief, shocked."
4. Harrison was a vice captain at St Thomas More College. Brisbane Catholic Education spokesman John Phelan told the media, "He was a good role model and an outstanding young man."
5. Harrison's parents were notified of their son's death by the Department of Foreign Affairs early Tuesday morning. The AAP reported they were on their way to Fiji.
6. Reports say Harrison and his friends chose to spend schoolies in Fiji than in the Gold Coast for safety reasons.
7. News Limited reported that Harrison may have died while playing a dangerous breathing game at the pool, but police authorities have not confirmed such story.
"All I know is that he went into the pool and didn't come out," a police spokesman was quoted by the AAP.
8. Police gathered that about 500 teens are staying on the island. They were holding nightly parties between 7pm and 5am.
Harrison's death brings to two the number of fatal tragedies in this year's schoolies. Another 17-year-old school leaver from Brisbane, Isabelle Colman, fell to her death from the balcony of a 26th floor unit at a Surfers Paradise high-rise building late in November.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Six English Words Which Originated From Arabic
- ISIS Educates Young Children in 'School of Jihad,' Deploys Them in Active Combat After Graduation [VIDEO]
- Robots May Be Used to Fight Ebola in West Africa; Australian PM Admits US, UK Asked For Medical Teams
- Decades-Long Mystery of Oklahoma Lake Solved, Missing Six Bodies Identified
- Belgium Chocolate Maker ISIS Forced To Change Brand Name To Escape Customer Fury
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS