RIP Harrison Kadell: Brisbane Teen Dies at Fiji Resort, 8 Things Off News Round-Up
By Arlene Paredes | December 4, 2012 4:23 PM EST
Students at St Thomas More College at Sunnybank in Brisbane are mourning the death of one of their own. Seventeen-year-old Harrison Kadell died of drowning in a resort pool in Fiji while celebrating schoolies with friends.
Here are EIGHT of the things we learned from the news round-up:
1. Kadell and three school friends were partying around a pool at the Plantation Island Resort, off Nadi, as part of schoolies celebrations, according to the police.
2. The young man was found dead at 4 a.m. Tuesday, December 4.
3. St Thomas More principal Peter Elmore told the media Harrison was "an outstanding student and outstanding athlete."
"This has rocked our community. We're deeply saddened and in grief at the moment," he told the AAP.
The school principal had been with Harrison's parents Tuesday. He said, "They are numb, in grief, shocked."
4. Harrison was a vice captain at St Thomas More College. Brisbane Catholic Education spokesman John Phelan told the media, "He was a good role model and an outstanding young man."
5. Harrison's parents were notified of their son's death by the Department of Foreign Affairs early Tuesday morning. The AAP reported they were on their way to Fiji.
6. Reports say Harrison and his friends chose to spend schoolies in Fiji than in the Gold Coast for safety reasons.
7. News Limited reported that Harrison may have died while playing a dangerous breathing game at the pool, but police authorities have not confirmed such story.
"All I know is that he went into the pool and didn't come out," a police spokesman was quoted by the AAP.
8. Police gathered that about 500 teens are staying on the island. They were holding nightly parties between 7pm and 5am.
Harrison's death brings to two the number of fatal tragedies in this year's schoolies. Another 17-year-old school leaver from Brisbane, Isabelle Colman, fell to her death from the balcony of a 26th floor unit at a Surfers Paradise high-rise building late in November.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ISIS War to Last For 4 Years; US Military Shows Videos of Airstrikes Hitting Militant Base [VIDEO]
- Australia Joins Global Effort to Stop Russian Website From Illegally Streaming Web Cam Feeds
- Ebola Stock Companies Suspended From Trading For Unverifiable Claims
- Former Malaysian Envoy Denies Assault Charges in New Zealand, Elects Trial By Jury
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- BlackBerry Classic (aka Q20) Keyboard Shortcuts Explained In A Quick Video
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon