RIP Harrison Kadell: Brisbane Teen Dies at Fiji Resort, 8 Things Off News Round-Up
By Arlene Paredes | December 4, 2012 4:23 PM EST
Students at St Thomas More College at Sunnybank in Brisbane are mourning the death of one of their own. Seventeen-year-old Harrison Kadell died of drowning in a resort pool in Fiji while celebrating schoolies with friends.
Here are EIGHT of the things we learned from the news round-up:
1. Kadell and three school friends were partying around a pool at the Plantation Island Resort, off Nadi, as part of schoolies celebrations, according to the police.
2. The young man was found dead at 4 a.m. Tuesday, December 4.
3. St Thomas More principal Peter Elmore told the media Harrison was "an outstanding student and outstanding athlete."
"This has rocked our community. We're deeply saddened and in grief at the moment," he told the AAP.
The school principal had been with Harrison's parents Tuesday. He said, "They are numb, in grief, shocked."
4. Harrison was a vice captain at St Thomas More College. Brisbane Catholic Education spokesman John Phelan told the media, "He was a good role model and an outstanding young man."
5. Harrison's parents were notified of their son's death by the Department of Foreign Affairs early Tuesday morning. The AAP reported they were on their way to Fiji.
6. Reports say Harrison and his friends chose to spend schoolies in Fiji than in the Gold Coast for safety reasons.
7. News Limited reported that Harrison may have died while playing a dangerous breathing game at the pool, but police authorities have not confirmed such story.
"All I know is that he went into the pool and didn't come out," a police spokesman was quoted by the AAP.
8. Police gathered that about 500 teens are staying on the island. They were holding nightly parties between 7pm and 5am.
Harrison's death brings to two the number of fatal tragedies in this year's schoolies. Another 17-year-old school leaver from Brisbane, Isabelle Colman, fell to her death from the balcony of a 26th floor unit at a Surfers Paradise high-rise building late in November.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
- Kate Middleton & Prince William Taking a Time Off in August Amidst Miscarriage & Adopting a Child Claims
- Kate Middleton & Prince William Vacation Plans: Visit Prince Charles & Camilla Parker-Bowles
Join the Conversation
- 15 Orgasms/Week, $27K/Yr Salary Not Bad for Professional Toy Tester Cara Houiellebecq (VIDEO)
- Thai’s Crackdown on Commercial Surrogacy Exposes Aussie Couple’s Appalling Deed
- 2014 Perseid Meteor Shower vs. Supermoon: Best to View Meteor Shower Display before August 12 to 13 Peak
- Australian Wanted Man Threatens Terror in Australia, Demands Release of Muslim Prisoners
- U.S. Woman Wins $66 Million in Lottery
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- HTC One M8 Windows Phone to Launch for Verizon; Release Date, Price, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate for New Smartphone
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- Galaxy Note 4 Release Date Ahead of iPhone 6 Sept 2014 Debut; Specced-Up but Remains Plastic-Wrapped – Reports
- LG G2 Android 4.4.4 KitKat Guide: When to Hit Your Region and How to Install