RIP Harrison Kadell: Brisbane Teen Dies at Fiji Resort, 8 Things Off News Round-Up
By Arlene Paredes | December 4, 2012 4:23 PM EST
Students at St Thomas More College at Sunnybank in Brisbane are mourning the death of one of their own. Seventeen-year-old Harrison Kadell died of drowning in a resort pool in Fiji while celebrating schoolies with friends.
Here are EIGHT of the things we learned from the news round-up:
1. Kadell and three school friends were partying around a pool at the Plantation Island Resort, off Nadi, as part of schoolies celebrations, according to the police.
2. The young man was found dead at 4 a.m. Tuesday, December 4.
3. St Thomas More principal Peter Elmore told the media Harrison was "an outstanding student and outstanding athlete."
"This has rocked our community. We're deeply saddened and in grief at the moment," he told the AAP.
The school principal had been with Harrison's parents Tuesday. He said, "They are numb, in grief, shocked."
4. Harrison was a vice captain at St Thomas More College. Brisbane Catholic Education spokesman John Phelan told the media, "He was a good role model and an outstanding young man."
5. Harrison's parents were notified of their son's death by the Department of Foreign Affairs early Tuesday morning. The AAP reported they were on their way to Fiji.
6. Reports say Harrison and his friends chose to spend schoolies in Fiji than in the Gold Coast for safety reasons.
7. News Limited reported that Harrison may have died while playing a dangerous breathing game at the pool, but police authorities have not confirmed such story.
"All I know is that he went into the pool and didn't come out," a police spokesman was quoted by the AAP.
8. Police gathered that about 500 teens are staying on the island. They were holding nightly parties between 7pm and 5am.
Harrison's death brings to two the number of fatal tragedies in this year's schoolies. Another 17-year-old school leaver from Brisbane, Isabelle Colman, fell to her death from the balcony of a 26th floor unit at a Surfers Paradise high-rise building late in November.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- Google Now v. Siri v. Cortana – Comparison Of The Three Leading Virtual Assistants
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Canada Consumer Alert: Costco No Longer Accepting American Express Cards Starting Jan 1