Royal Baby Name: What Will Prince William and Kate Name Their Child?
By Maria Vultaggio | December 4, 2012 3:11 PM EST
Prince William and Kate Middleton announced Monday they are expecting a baby, and their subjects have already begun to take bets on the sex of the child, not missing the opportunity to make some money.
The British and Irish will pretty much bet on anything, so the sex and name of the royal baby is no exception.
CBC News reported that the William Hill betting firm put 10/1 odds the child would be a girl and similar odds for a boy.
The also made a 20/1 that the duchess of Cambridge would give birth to twins as of Monday.
Many British bookies are trying to make bets on other different options involving the unborn child, CBC said, but none of them can seem to agree on what the name of the child will be. Diana was placed at 13/1, and they even placed 501/1 bets for names like Rafa and Arsene.
Ladbrokes have pegged 9/1 odds the child’s name with be Elizabeth if the baby is a girl with Frances the second choice; if it's a boy, Charles, with John in second place.
William Hill favors the name Frances, giving it 9/1 odds, with Diana, Charles and Victoria following.
The bookies at Ireland's Paddy Power have placed Mary, Victoria and John on equal probability, giving 8/1 odds on each one, while Diana and Frances were close at 9/1. Fergie even fell on the betting list, but was given 250/1 odds.
“It’s exciting, these are the things we all talk about and people like to speculate about it and have a bet,” Power told Time magazine. But, he added that his company is keeping a close eye on how much everyone is betting.
“If it’s a good, regular customer who bets quite big, there’s no problem at all. But if someone comes in with their first bet and happens to live somewhere around Buckingham Palace and is looking for 50 grand for it to be a boy, we might be a bit worried about how much more than you they know,” he said.
Even Time magazine gave different odds for the future heir’s name.
They reported that John and Robert are in the lead with 10 to 1 odds, with Anne, Francis, George and Charles falling in second with odds of 12 to 1.
Power revealed to Time that the royal couple might actually chose a modern name:
“William and Kate seem a little more modern than we’re used to, a little more down with the kids, so there’s a chance they might come up with a more modern name."
SBS World News in Australia even reported that if anyone wants to put out the money in hopes the royal couple names the child after NBA star Lebron James or Shaquille O’Neal there will be a major payoff.
Clarence House announced Kate Middleton’s pregnancy on Monday, after she was hospitalized for severe morning sickness, saying the royal family are "delighted with the news."
The official statement read: "Their Royal Highnesses The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge are very pleased to announce that The Duchess of Cambridge is expecting a baby.
"The Queen, The Duke of Edinburgh, The Prince of Wales, The Duchess of Cornwall and Prince Harry and members of both families are delighted with the news."
CNN reported that Kate was admitted to the hospital on Monday, the same day her pregnancy was announced with hyperemesis gravidarum. It's a rare maternity illness that have symptoms of extreme morning sickness. She is expected to stay there for several days.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 24, 2014: Katie Spills Ridge's Secret Plan While Eric's Announcement Causes A Huge Furor [WATCH VIDEO]
- Brad Pitt Forced To Talk About Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston: Asked to Compare Wife Angelina Jolie With Rachel From 'Friends'
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Major Spoilers: Death Count, The Terminus Residents’ Fate Plus Father Gabriel's Past
- ‘Star Wars: Episode 7’ Jungle Stormtroopers On Rampage – Leaked Images [Spoilers]
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers From Oct. 27-31, 2014: As Halloween Draws Near, Forrester Creations Will Reel From Eric's Shocking Decision And The Rest Will Scramble To Make Their Plans Successful [WATCH VIDEO]
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Shifts Blame On US For Ukraine Crisis, Putin Accuses West of 'Remaking World'