Royal Baby Name: What Will Prince William and Kate Name Their Child?
By Maria Vultaggio | December 4, 2012 3:11 PM EST
Prince William and Kate Middleton announced Monday they are expecting a baby, and their subjects have already begun to take bets on the sex of the child, not missing the opportunity to make some money.
The British and Irish will pretty much bet on anything, so the sex and name of the royal baby is no exception.
CBC News reported that the William Hill betting firm put 10/1 odds the child would be a girl and similar odds for a boy.
The also made a 20/1 that the duchess of Cambridge would give birth to twins as of Monday.
Many British bookies are trying to make bets on other different options involving the unborn child, CBC said, but none of them can seem to agree on what the name of the child will be. Diana was placed at 13/1, and they even placed 501/1 bets for names like Rafa and Arsene.
Ladbrokes have pegged 9/1 odds the child’s name with be Elizabeth if the baby is a girl with Frances the second choice; if it's a boy, Charles, with John in second place.
William Hill favors the name Frances, giving it 9/1 odds, with Diana, Charles and Victoria following.
The bookies at Ireland's Paddy Power have placed Mary, Victoria and John on equal probability, giving 8/1 odds on each one, while Diana and Frances were close at 9/1. Fergie even fell on the betting list, but was given 250/1 odds.
“It’s exciting, these are the things we all talk about and people like to speculate about it and have a bet,” Power told Time magazine. But, he added that his company is keeping a close eye on how much everyone is betting.
“If it’s a good, regular customer who bets quite big, there’s no problem at all. But if someone comes in with their first bet and happens to live somewhere around Buckingham Palace and is looking for 50 grand for it to be a boy, we might be a bit worried about how much more than you they know,” he said.
Even Time magazine gave different odds for the future heir’s name.
They reported that John and Robert are in the lead with 10 to 1 odds, with Anne, Francis, George and Charles falling in second with odds of 12 to 1.
Power revealed to Time that the royal couple might actually chose a modern name:
“William and Kate seem a little more modern than we’re used to, a little more down with the kids, so there’s a chance they might come up with a more modern name."
SBS World News in Australia even reported that if anyone wants to put out the money in hopes the royal couple names the child after NBA star Lebron James or Shaquille O’Neal there will be a major payoff.
Clarence House announced Kate Middleton’s pregnancy on Monday, after she was hospitalized for severe morning sickness, saying the royal family are "delighted with the news."
The official statement read: "Their Royal Highnesses The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge are very pleased to announce that The Duchess of Cambridge is expecting a baby.
"The Queen, The Duke of Edinburgh, The Prince of Wales, The Duchess of Cornwall and Prince Harry and members of both families are delighted with the news."
CNN reported that Kate was admitted to the hospital on Monday, the same day her pregnancy was announced with hyperemesis gravidarum. It's a rare maternity illness that have symptoms of extreme morning sickness. She is expected to stay there for several days.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- 'Star Wars 7': Luke Skywalker Exiled, Turns Into Powerful Wizard
- ‘Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice’: Leaked Videos Show Batmobile In Motion; Vehicle Reportedly 'Stolen'
- ‘Avengers: Age of Ultron’: Black Panther Powerful Than Ultron, Can Be New Iron Man
- The Pirate Bay Founder Gottfrid Svartholm Trial’s Second Week: TPB Founder’s Co-Defendant Answers Questions Plus Jacob Appelbaum Appears
- Miley Cyrus Naked Picture In Bathroom: 'Bangerz' Singer Shares The Racy Picture With Fans
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date