Yankees News: How Long Will A-Rod Be Out?
By IB Times Staff Reporter | December 4, 2012 11:03 AM EST
Bad news seems to keep following Alex Rodriguez.
The Yankees third baseman is expected to miss four-to-six months, and have arthroscopic surgery on his left hip to "repair a torn labrum, bone impingement and the correction of a cyst."
This is the second surgery he has had on his left hip, and his impending surgery is similar to the one he had on his right hip in 2009.
Rodriguez struggled in the postseason, and there had been talk that New York was interested in dealing the 14-time All-Star. A big obstacle for trading Rodriguez is his contract. The 38-year-old is owed $114 million that runs through 2017.
The Yankees don't have a power-hitting third baseman to replace Rodriguez.
"It's a significant blow," said Yankees general manager Brian Cashman. "But we've dealt with significant blows and, hopefully, we'll be able to deal with this one, as well."
Rodriguez has Hall-of-Fame statistics. He has hit 647 home runs, 1,950 runs-batted in, and a .300 batting average.
But 2012 was a subpar year for Rodriguez. He batted just 18 home runs, 57 RBI, and a .272 batting average.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Will Probably Pick Between Amir Khan Or Manny Pacquiao For Next Fight According to Uncle Jeff
- Tony Stewart Reveals Retirement Not In Options, Reflects On His Life After the Fatal Crash
- Sugar Ray Leonard Adds Fuel To Pacquiao-Mayweather Clamour
- Rafael Nadal Gives Li Na Flowers, A Teary Farewell At Beijing China Open
- WWE Update: Bray Wyatt’s Twitter Post Hints Upcoming Fight With Sting [VIDEO]
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks