Yankees News: How Long Will A-Rod Be Out?
By IB Times Staff Reporter | December 4, 2012 11:03 AM EST
Bad news seems to keep following Alex Rodriguez.
The Yankees third baseman is expected to miss four-to-six months, and have arthroscopic surgery on his left hip to "repair a torn labrum, bone impingement and the correction of a cyst."
This is the second surgery he has had on his left hip, and his impending surgery is similar to the one he had on his right hip in 2009.
Rodriguez struggled in the postseason, and there had been talk that New York was interested in dealing the 14-time All-Star. A big obstacle for trading Rodriguez is his contract. The 38-year-old is owed $114 million that runs through 2017.
The Yankees don't have a power-hitting third baseman to replace Rodriguez.
"It's a significant blow," said Yankees general manager Brian Cashman. "But we've dealt with significant blows and, hopefully, we'll be able to deal with this one, as well."
Rodriguez has Hall-of-Fame statistics. He has hit 647 home runs, 1,950 runs-batted in, and a .300 batting average.
But 2012 was a subpar year for Rodriguez. He batted just 18 home runs, 57 RBI, and a .272 batting average.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Amir Khan Addresses Roach’s Comments That Pacquiao Used To Knock Out The Bolton-Born Boxer During Sparring Sessions
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Meet Paige VanZant, The Next UFC Sensation In The Women's Division
- Sharapova, Halep, Ivanovic, Wozniacki, Kvitova, Radwanska, Kerber Make Early Commitment To Stuttgart Open
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- 16GB iPhone 6 for $99 at Sam’s Club is the Best 2014 Black Friday Deal Around
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft