Yankees News: How Long Will A-Rod Be Out?
By IB Times Staff Reporter | December 4, 2012 11:03 AM EST
Bad news seems to keep following Alex Rodriguez.
The Yankees third baseman is expected to miss four-to-six months, and have arthroscopic surgery on his left hip to "repair a torn labrum, bone impingement and the correction of a cyst."
This is the second surgery he has had on his left hip, and his impending surgery is similar to the one he had on his right hip in 2009.
Rodriguez struggled in the postseason, and there had been talk that New York was interested in dealing the 14-time All-Star. A big obstacle for trading Rodriguez is his contract. The 38-year-old is owed $114 million that runs through 2017.
The Yankees don't have a power-hitting third baseman to replace Rodriguez.
"It's a significant blow," said Yankees general manager Brian Cashman. "But we've dealt with significant blows and, hopefully, we'll be able to deal with this one, as well."
Rodriguez has Hall-of-Fame statistics. He has hit 647 home runs, 1,950 runs-batted in, and a .300 batting average.
But 2012 was a subpar year for Rodriguez. He batted just 18 home runs, 57 RBI, and a .272 batting average.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Rafael Nadal’s Retirement Plan Includes Becoming Pro Poker Player; Spaniard To Unveil New Serve at US Open
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More