Oracle sends shareholders cash as tax uncertainty looms
By Noel Randewich | December 4, 2012 11:07 AM EST
Oracle Corp said it would give over $800 million back to shareholders, joining a growing number of companies accelerating dividend payments or declaring special dividends because of uncertainty surrounding the U.S. government's fiscal plans.
About $600 billion of automatic tax increases and spending cuts are scheduled to come into effect in the United States early next year, which could include higher rates for dividends.
To avoid potentially higher tax bills for their investors, companies including Costco and Wal-Mart have either moved up scheduled payments or declared special dividends.
Oracle declared accelerated second-, third- and fourth-quarter cash dividends totaling 18 cents per share of outstanding common stock, equivalent to $867 million, according to Thomson Reuters data.
In some cases, insiders are among the biggest beneficiaries of the special payouts, as well as shifts of regular dividends into 2012 from 2013.
Oracle CEO Larry Ellison, the technology company's largest shareholder, is entitled to dividends worth $198.9 million, according to Thomson Reuters data.
Ellison did not participate in discussions or vote on the matter, Oracle said in a statement on Monday.
The accelerated dividend will be paid to stockholders of record as of close of business on December 14, with a payment date of December 21, 2012.
Also on Monday, DISH Network Corporation declared a non-recurring dividend of $1 per share payable on December 28 to shareholders of record as of December 14.
Shares of Oracle slipped 0.40 percent in after-hours trade after closing up 0.42 percent at $32.31.
(Additional reporting by Ben Berkowitz in New York and Bill Rigby in Seattle; Editing by Leslie Gevirtz, Bernard Orr)
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans