Oracle sends shareholders cash as tax uncertainty looms
By Noel Randewich | December 4, 2012 11:07 AM EST
Oracle Corp said it would give over $800 million back to shareholders, joining a growing number of companies accelerating dividend payments or declaring special dividends because of uncertainty surrounding the U.S. government's fiscal plans.
About $600 billion of automatic tax increases and spending cuts are scheduled to come into effect in the United States early next year, which could include higher rates for dividends.
To avoid potentially higher tax bills for their investors, companies including Costco and Wal-Mart have either moved up scheduled payments or declared special dividends.
Oracle declared accelerated second-, third- and fourth-quarter cash dividends totaling 18 cents per share of outstanding common stock, equivalent to $867 million, according to Thomson Reuters data.
In some cases, insiders are among the biggest beneficiaries of the special payouts, as well as shifts of regular dividends into 2012 from 2013.
Oracle CEO Larry Ellison, the technology company's largest shareholder, is entitled to dividends worth $198.9 million, according to Thomson Reuters data.
Ellison did not participate in discussions or vote on the matter, Oracle said in a statement on Monday.
The accelerated dividend will be paid to stockholders of record as of close of business on December 14, with a payment date of December 21, 2012.
Also on Monday, DISH Network Corporation declared a non-recurring dividend of $1 per share payable on December 28 to shareholders of record as of December 14.
Shares of Oracle slipped 0.40 percent in after-hours trade after closing up 0.42 percent at $32.31.
(Additional reporting by Ben Berkowitz in New York and Bill Rigby in Seattle; Editing by Leslie Gevirtz, Bernard Orr)
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 Android 5.0 L Material Design Coming with More Interface Changes
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- Samsung Galaxy S4 LTE-A Android 4.4.2 KitKat Update Rolls Out: When to Hit Your Region
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]