Air Jordan XX8: The Ugliest Jordans Of All Time? [SEE FIRST PHOTOS HERE]
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | December 4, 2012 10:09 AM EST
Air Jordan XX8 photos hit Twitter Monday evening and the initial online reaction shows a consensus that the black-and-green sneakers are "hideous," as Twitter user @SwagSociety704 tweeted just minutes after the photo hit the Web.
"Ehhhh borderline horrible, he said, echoing the thoughts of many others who can't stand the AJ XX8.
The sneakers were introduced to the public during Monday's mega-hyped "#DareToFly" event, which featured celebrities and NBA players. The following Tweet from the official Jordan account summed up the company's message at the event:
"The lightest, most responsive Air Jordan of all time is coming.
#DareToFly in the Air Jordan XX8."
"ewwww the Air Jordan XX8 looks soooo ugly. are you supposed to wear those gloves on the shoes when you play basketball?"
The high-top sneakers, which feature super-bright neon-green mesh around the ankle and tongue, with a black Air Jordan symbol overlaid, have one odd feature which is likely the root of much of the complaining about the Air Jordan XX8's look.
That feature is what can be best described as a black zip-up sheath, which wraps the whole green upper part of the sneaker -- which will go by the shorter nickname of 28s -- in black spandex-like material.
When the sheath is up, the shoe looks more like a scuba diving boot than a basketball sneaker. And when it is folded down, it makes them almost look like some kind of futuristic UGG boot, and the inside of the sheath reveals a neon-green "23," in honor of Michael Jordan's jersey number.
And then there is the sole. The sides of the rubber sole are an odd purple-lavender color that does not really match the color scheme of the whole rest of the AJ XX8. But the shoe does feature what the Jordan folks described as our "game-changing 'Jordan Flight Plate', unlocking the power of Nike Zoom units," which looks pretty cool in the first photos of the 28s to be released.
Twitter absolutely exploded in the first minutes after the first Air Jordan XX8 photos were tweeted out by the official Jordan Twitter account.
The AJ 28s were released during the #DareToFly mega-event, which featured movie director and diehard New York Knicks basketball fan Spike Lee and the shoe's designers, who expounded on all the reasons they believe the shoes are great.
The event also featured ballers like Knick star Carmelo Anthony, and Oklahoma City Thunder point guard Russell Westbrook, who will likely wear them Tuesday against the Brooklyn Nets, according to the following tweet from the official Jordan account:
"You know Russell Westbrook will
#DareToFly in the AJ XX8. Keep an eye on his kicks tomorrow."
And some people on Twitter actually liked them, though they were drowned out by the hordes of haters.
"The Air Jordan XX8's actually look good. I'd ball in them."
In the end, it's all just a matter of opinion.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- The Burka Avenger Educates Children While Fighting For Girls' Education Rights In New Pakistan TV Show
- Christopher Walken To Play Mob Boss In Film Adaptation Of Four Seasons Musical 'Jersey Boys'
- William Cantrell Mistakes Human Ashes For Cocaine, May Have Snorted Remains
- Giant Alligator Eats 80-Pound Dog In North Carolina, Gator May Still Be Alive
- Steve McQueen's Last Ride, 1952 Custom Chevy Pickup Truck, Hits The Auction Block
- Robin Williams Goodbye Video Hoax: Facebook Users Warned of Celebrity Suicide Exploitation
- 4 Killer Android Features Apple Fans Would Love to Get Come the iPhone 6 Release Date
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- Nexus 6 Release Date Dilemma with Motorola Shamu Details Pointing to Better Smartphone and Killer Features
- After James Foley, ISIL Threatens to Behead Another American Journalist Steven Sotloff
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: AT&T/Sprint Release and When to Hit Your Region
- Motorola Moto X+1 On Release Date To Come With Snapdragon 800 Processor, 2 GB RAM, 4K Recording And 5.2-Inch Display