Massive Weekend Traffic Jam Over 200 Km Long Traps 4,000 Trucks in Russia
By Vittorio Hernandez | December 4, 2012 10:01 AM EST
The traffic jam along the M-10 motorway lasted for 44 hours and trapped more than 4,000 trucks. The gridlock was caused by heavy snow.
However, reports said the traffic was moving normally at 80 kilometres per hour again since the early hours of Monday, although the experienced led the Russian government to admit they need to improve things to prevent a repeat.
Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin said the build-up of vehicles was an indicator that clear road services did not work effectively.
To worsen matters, the road was in the middle of a forest and many drivers were stuck with no provisions or extra fuel in temperatures of minus five degrees Celsius.
The heavy snowfall started on late Friday night and to worsen the road nightmare for motorists, authorities maneouvered a snow plough through the vehicles to clear the road.
The highway connects Moscow and Saint Petersburg, and one of the busiest roads in Russia. It goes through the Tver region.
Road experts attribute the worsening traffic problem in key Russian cities to the rising number of vehicles plying its thoroughfares and the decline in funds available for proper road maintenance.
As a result of the frequent gridlocks that Russian motorists suffer, the YouTube video below that provides tips on how to fool the traffic jam, Russian style, has almost 1.7 million hits so far.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Prince George Birthday: Adorable New Pictures of George Touching a Butterfly on William's Hand Released [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Australian Stock Market Report – Midday July 23, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report –Midday July 22, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report –Afternoon July 21, 2014
- BHP Billiton Goads Abbott Government to Also Repeal Mining Tax Law
- Major European & U.S. Airlines Cancel Flights to Israel after Rocket Attack on Tel Aviv Airport
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- NVIDIA Shield Gaming Tablet with Tegra K1 SoC Reported to be Released on July 29
- BlackBerry Passport Video Leak, Release Date, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate [Watch YouTube Clip] --Reports