Massive Weekend Traffic Jam Over 200 Km Long Traps 4,000 Trucks in Russia
By Vittorio Hernandez | December 4, 2012 10:01 AM EST
The traffic jam along the M-10 motorway lasted for 44 hours and trapped more than 4,000 trucks. The gridlock was caused by heavy snow.
However, reports said the traffic was moving normally at 80 kilometres per hour again since the early hours of Monday, although the experienced led the Russian government to admit they need to improve things to prevent a repeat.
Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin said the build-up of vehicles was an indicator that clear road services did not work effectively.
To worsen matters, the road was in the middle of a forest and many drivers were stuck with no provisions or extra fuel in temperatures of minus five degrees Celsius.
The heavy snowfall started on late Friday night and to worsen the road nightmare for motorists, authorities maneouvered a snow plough through the vehicles to clear the road.
The highway connects Moscow and Saint Petersburg, and one of the busiest roads in Russia. It goes through the Tver region.
Road experts attribute the worsening traffic problem in key Russian cities to the rising number of vehicles plying its thoroughfares and the decline in funds available for proper road maintenance.
As a result of the frequent gridlocks that Russian motorists suffer, the YouTube video below that provides tips on how to fool the traffic jam, Russian style, has almost 1.7 million hits so far.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation