HP TippingPoint gives deadline to vendors
By Ian McCollister | August 5, 2010 10:51 PM EST
HP TippingPoint, the world's biggest bug bounty program, says that it will impose a six-month deadline on vendors. The security initiative, says that it would release vulnerability information, even if a patch has not been released.
"We're going to be enforcing a six-month deadline as general policy," said Aaron Portnoy, head of HP TippingPoint's security research team.
The move is a major development for TippingPoint's Zero Day Initiative (ZDI). ZDI, which purchases vulnerability reports from independent security researchers and then privately reports them to vendors to help tailor defenses for security appliances, had a policy of indefinitely withhold information on a vulnerability. The initiative would only publish its information after a patch had been issued.
ZDI will now give vendors six months to get a patch ready. Bugs in ZDI's queue were given a deadline that expires in six months: Feb. 4, 2011.
If by the deadline for a fix is not ready, ZDI will issue an advisory on the vulnerability, as well as any solutions the initiative can formulate.
As of the moment, ZDI is holding information on 31 critical bugs. The initiative reported the problems to vendors a year ago or longer.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Nexus 6 Likely Confirmed as Motorola 5.9-Inch Phablet on Release Date – Report
- Samsung Galaxy Mega 2 Reportedly Cleared by FCC: Five Fresh Features to Expect from Android Smart Phone
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs. OnePlus One—Specifications, Features, Release Date and Price Showdown
- iPhone 6 New Release Imminent as Apple Enters Mid-August Production with New 24-Karat Gold iPhone 6
- Richard Norris' Successful Face Transplant Lands Him in GQ Cover [WATCH VIDEOS]
- Japanese Whalers End Pacific Hunt with 115 Whales Dead and No Disruption from Sea Shepherd
- A Mother Of Two Dies While Undergoing Stem Cell Treatment
- Breaking Discovery: Industrial Pollution Reached South Pole by 19th Century
- Human Guinea Pigs for Google Health Projects