HP TippingPoint gives deadline to vendors
By Ian McCollister | August 5, 2010 10:51 PM EST
HP TippingPoint, the world's biggest bug bounty program, says that it will impose a six-month deadline on vendors. The security initiative, says that it would release vulnerability information, even if a patch has not been released.
"We're going to be enforcing a six-month deadline as general policy," said Aaron Portnoy, head of HP TippingPoint's security research team.
The move is a major development for TippingPoint's Zero Day Initiative (ZDI). ZDI, which purchases vulnerability reports from independent security researchers and then privately reports them to vendors to help tailor defenses for security appliances, had a policy of indefinitely withhold information on a vulnerability. The initiative would only publish its information after a patch had been issued.
ZDI will now give vendors six months to get a patch ready. Bugs in ZDI's queue were given a deadline that expires in six months: Feb. 4, 2011.
If by the deadline for a fix is not ready, ZDI will issue an advisory on the vulnerability, as well as any solutions the initiative can formulate.
As of the moment, ZDI is holding information on 31 critical bugs. The initiative reported the problems to vendors a year ago or longer.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
Join the Conversation
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build