Borussia Dortmund v Manchester City: Champions League, Where to Watch Live, Preview and Teams
By Naveen Ullal | December 4, 2012 3:18 AM EST
Manchester City travel to Germany to face Borussia Dortmund for their final game of this season's Champions League, with the Premier League champions playing for pride as they look to end their campaign with a win.
The English champions are rock bottom of their group with three points, and have already been eliminated. However City manager Roberto Mancini, who has come under fire for his poor Champions League record in recent weeks, will be keen to prove he belongs in Europe's premier competition by securing a win against Dortmund, who have already secured qualification with 11 points.
Where to Watch
Kick-off is set for 7:45pm GMT. Live coverage will be available, from 7pm GMT on Sky Sports 2 and Sky Sports 2 HD.
The midweek game is not a crucial tie for Dortmund as they have already progressed to the next stage of the tournament. Jurgen Klopp's side has sealed their berth in the knock out stages after their 4-1 victory against Ajax on match day five.
Dortmund come into the match after securing a 1-1 draw against league rivals Bayern Munich at the Allianz Arena. The German champions did not enjoy a great start to their domestic campaign as they are currently third in the Bundesliga table with 27 points, trailing Jupp Heynckes' side by 11 points with Bayern Leverkusen in second with 30 points. Klopp's side enter into this game being unbeaten in 11 games in all competitions.
The English champions are paying for the defensive errors committed during their first game of the tournament against Real Madrid, which City lost 3-2 in the dying minutes after leading twice. City have continued to struggle during the rest of the group stage. However, if they beat Dortmund and Real defeat Ajax in Madrid, Mancini's men could still qualify for the Europa League.
- Last Five ( all competitions, most recent first): D D W W W
- Last Result: Bayern Munich 1-1 Borussia Dortmund
- Last Five (all competitions, most recent first): D W D D W
- Last Result: Manchester City 1-1 Everton
Dortmund will be looking to rest their key players for the game against City since they have already confirmed their berth in the next stage of the tournament. Left back Chris Lowe and his compatriot Patrick Owomoyela are only injury worries for the German side.
Probable Line-Up: Weidenfeller; Piszczek, Hummels, Subotic, Schmelzer; Gundogan, Leitner, Blaszczykowski, Gotze; Reus, Lewandowski
Roberto Mancini has more selection worries as key player Yaya Toure is suspended for the game against Dortmund after he picked his third yellow card of the tournament. In addition, the English champions will be without the likes of midfielder James Milner who picked up a hamstring injury during last week's win against Wigan while defender Aleksandar Kolarov limped out of the game during the 1-1 draw against Everton.
Meanwhile, former Arsenal defender Gael Clichy, summer recruit Jack Rodwell and England international Micah Richards are all ruled out for the midweek game against the German champions.
Probable Line-Up: Hart; Maicon, Nastasic, Kompany, Zabaleta; Silva, Barry, Garcia, Nasri; Aguero, Dzeko
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Photos from the Crash Site of Malaysia Airlines MH17 In Ukraine
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- No Kevin Love to Cleveland, Andrew Wiggins to Stay with Cavaliers
- Jeremy Lin Only an ‘Expiring Contract’ in Los Angeles; Lakers Want Eric Bledsoe
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More