125-Mile Traffic Jam In Russia: Drivers Stuck In Snow For Three Days [PHOTO, VIDEO]
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | December 4, 2012 2:03 AM EST
Reports indicate that a traffic jam in Russia along the main highway linking Moscow and St. Petersburg, the two most heavily-populated cities, had a backup of over 125-miles amidst heavy snowfall between Friday and Sunday evening.
By Sunday, according to a spokesman for the Interior Ministry’s State Automobile Inspectorate, the traffic jam was still 34 miles long on the M-10 highway in the early evening, Russian news agency RIA Novosti reported.
While it was estimated to have covered about a 125-mile stretch at one point, the spokesperson said the jam was decreasing at a rate of three-four miles every hour on Sunday.
“Travel remains stop-and-go for a stretch of between 135 and 190 kilometers (84-118 miles) on M-10 in Tver Region. One lane in each direction is clear of snow. Trucks are moving at roughly 5-10 kilometers per hour (3-6 mph),” the spokesman said.
However, according to RIA Novosti, it could still take trucks 13.5 hours to get through the traffic jam.
The Emergencies Ministry has set up stations along the traffic jam route for warmth and hot food distribution as well as a psychological support hotline.
"(Emergencies Minister Vladmir Puchkov) is making sure that all necessary measures are being taken and that all vital personnel in afflicted regions have everything they need," a ministry spokesman said.
However, those stuck in the traffic jam said there was a shortage of gasoline by the third day. According to RIA Novosti, users on social media including Tvernews and Vkontakte said there was limited assistance from police and high prices at the roadside cafes.
Video footage of the traffic jam shows tents propped up alongside the highway with people inside filling up on goods and keeping warm.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Canada Raises National Terror Alert Level after Suspected Jihadist Runs Over Soldier