125-Mile Traffic Jam In Russia: Drivers Stuck In Snow For Three Days [PHOTO, VIDEO]
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | December 4, 2012 2:03 AM EST
Reports indicate that a traffic jam in Russia along the main highway linking Moscow and St. Petersburg, the two most heavily-populated cities, had a backup of over 125-miles amidst heavy snowfall between Friday and Sunday evening.
By Sunday, according to a spokesman for the Interior Ministry’s State Automobile Inspectorate, the traffic jam was still 34 miles long on the M-10 highway in the early evening, Russian news agency RIA Novosti reported.
While it was estimated to have covered about a 125-mile stretch at one point, the spokesperson said the jam was decreasing at a rate of three-four miles every hour on Sunday.
“Travel remains stop-and-go for a stretch of between 135 and 190 kilometers (84-118 miles) on M-10 in Tver Region. One lane in each direction is clear of snow. Trucks are moving at roughly 5-10 kilometers per hour (3-6 mph),” the spokesman said.
However, according to RIA Novosti, it could still take trucks 13.5 hours to get through the traffic jam.
The Emergencies Ministry has set up stations along the traffic jam route for warmth and hot food distribution as well as a psychological support hotline.
"(Emergencies Minister Vladmir Puchkov) is making sure that all necessary measures are being taken and that all vital personnel in afflicted regions have everything they need," a ministry spokesman said.
However, those stuck in the traffic jam said there was a shortage of gasoline by the third day. According to RIA Novosti, users on social media including Tvernews and Vkontakte said there was limited assistance from police and high prices at the roadside cafes.
Video footage of the traffic jam shows tents propped up alongside the highway with people inside filling up on goods and keeping warm.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
- What Happens When You Give Up Sex For 12 Months? – Dialogue With Peter Lynagh – Exclusive
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Female Tennis Athletes [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- iPhone 6 To Boost Telstra’s Income By $500 Million
- Smaller Australian Telcos Required To Have Usage Alert For Customers To Avoid Phone Bill Shock
- BlackBerry to Host ‘See The Bigger Picture’ Event in London, Dubai & Toronto on Sep 24
- Addiction Rehabilitation Leader BioCorRx, Inc. Participates In San Francisco’s eMoneyShow
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones
- Leaker of Actresses Nude Photos Accepting PayPal Donations in Exchange For Posting Alleged Sex Video of Jennifer Lawrence, Has Naked Pictures of 100 Hollywood A-Listers
- ISIS Will Target the U.S. Power Grid, Former CIA Says; Could Tap Other Fellow Extremist Groups to Do the Job
- Jennifer Lawrence's Nude Photos Leaked on Find My iPhone, Apple 'Outraged' But Says Systems 'Not Breached'
- Russia Massacres Ukrainian Volunteer Battalions—Surviving Members Alleged