125-Mile Traffic Jam In Russia: Drivers Stuck In Snow For Three Days [PHOTO, VIDEO]
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | December 4, 2012 2:03 AM EST
Reports indicate that a traffic jam in Russia along the main highway linking Moscow and St. Petersburg, the two most heavily-populated cities, had a backup of over 125-miles amidst heavy snowfall between Friday and Sunday evening.
By Sunday, according to a spokesman for the Interior Ministry’s State Automobile Inspectorate, the traffic jam was still 34 miles long on the M-10 highway in the early evening, Russian news agency RIA Novosti reported.
While it was estimated to have covered about a 125-mile stretch at one point, the spokesperson said the jam was decreasing at a rate of three-four miles every hour on Sunday.
“Travel remains stop-and-go for a stretch of between 135 and 190 kilometers (84-118 miles) on M-10 in Tver Region. One lane in each direction is clear of snow. Trucks are moving at roughly 5-10 kilometers per hour (3-6 mph),” the spokesman said.
However, according to RIA Novosti, it could still take trucks 13.5 hours to get through the traffic jam.
The Emergencies Ministry has set up stations along the traffic jam route for warmth and hot food distribution as well as a psychological support hotline.
"(Emergencies Minister Vladmir Puchkov) is making sure that all necessary measures are being taken and that all vital personnel in afflicted regions have everything they need," a ministry spokesman said.
However, those stuck in the traffic jam said there was a shortage of gasoline by the third day. According to RIA Novosti, users on social media including Tvernews and Vkontakte said there was limited assistance from police and high prices at the roadside cafes.
Video footage of the traffic jam shows tents propped up alongside the highway with people inside filling up on goods and keeping warm.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles