125-Mile Traffic Jam In Russia: Drivers Stuck In Snow For Three Days [PHOTO, VIDEO]
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | December 4, 2012 2:03 AM EST
Reports indicate that a traffic jam in Russia along the main highway linking Moscow and St. Petersburg, the two most heavily-populated cities, had a backup of over 125-miles amidst heavy snowfall between Friday and Sunday evening.
By Sunday, according to a spokesman for the Interior Ministry’s State Automobile Inspectorate, the traffic jam was still 34 miles long on the M-10 highway in the early evening, Russian news agency RIA Novosti reported.
While it was estimated to have covered about a 125-mile stretch at one point, the spokesperson said the jam was decreasing at a rate of three-four miles every hour on Sunday.
“Travel remains stop-and-go for a stretch of between 135 and 190 kilometers (84-118 miles) on M-10 in Tver Region. One lane in each direction is clear of snow. Trucks are moving at roughly 5-10 kilometers per hour (3-6 mph),” the spokesman said.
However, according to RIA Novosti, it could still take trucks 13.5 hours to get through the traffic jam.
The Emergencies Ministry has set up stations along the traffic jam route for warmth and hot food distribution as well as a psychological support hotline.
"(Emergencies Minister Vladmir Puchkov) is making sure that all necessary measures are being taken and that all vital personnel in afflicted regions have everything they need," a ministry spokesman said.
However, those stuck in the traffic jam said there was a shortage of gasoline by the third day. According to RIA Novosti, users on social media including Tvernews and Vkontakte said there was limited assistance from police and high prices at the roadside cafes.
Video footage of the traffic jam shows tents propped up alongside the highway with people inside filling up on goods and keeping warm.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
- Taylor Swift's Famous Ex-Boyfriends: From Harry Styles To Joe Jonas [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 3 Signs Nexus 6, 8 Release Date Nears: Leaked Pics, KitKat Factory Image & Android L Details Emerge
- Apple iPhone 6 vs. OnePlus One: With Invitation-Only Model Rested, OnePlus One Can Be A Real Threat To iPhone 6
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Available Through O2 For £380, Other Carriers To Follow Soon
- ISIS Supporters are Walking Among the Many in the United States – Report
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build
- ISIS Receives Food, Ammunition Due To Mistake Of Iraqi Pilots
- Airstrikes Against ISIS Has Claimed Innocent Lives In Syria, Dubbed ‘Ineffective’ By Jihadi Fighters, US Military To Ask For More Spending Money