Weather Warning: Australia on Verge of Fires as Britons Battle Arctic Temperatures
By Dominic Gover | December 4, 2012 1:10 AM EST
As Britain shivers in sub-zero temperatures, forecasters on the other side of the world are predicting record temperatures for Australia.
Snow has already brought chaos to Edinburgh, Glasgow and Teeside, and overnight temperatures are expected to plunge to -4, glazing long stretches of road in a deadly coalescence of ice and sleet.
However, in the Australian city of Brisbane, locals are fretting about a very different problem, as a summer heatwave raises the prospect of fires.
Temperatures in Brisbane are forecast to reach 39 degrees tomorrow, and the needle is creeping ever closer to the all-time record high of 41.2 degrees.
Antipodean weather expert Michelle Berry summed up what residents are facing, saying: "We're looking at gusty winds, very dry conditions and very hot temperatures. This is the kind of temperature that is well and truly above average. We're looking at an increasing fire danger."
There is forecast to be a whopping 36 degree difference between temperatures in Australia and the UK this week.
Councils have stockpiled 1.3m tons of road salt to help stop vehicles sliding off the road. A fleet of gritters was put on standby, after previous icy winters overwhelmed response crews and provoked an angry outcry.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ISIS War to Last For 4 Years; US Military Shows Videos of Airstrikes Hitting Militant Base [VIDEO]
- Australia Joins Global Effort to Stop Russian Website From Illegally Streaming Web Cam Feeds
- Ebola Stock Companies Suspended From Trading For Unverifiable Claims
- Former Malaysian Envoy Denies Assault Charges in New Zealand, Elects Trial By Jury
- Baby Gammy Will Be Australian Citizen Soon
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- BlackBerry Classic (aka Q20) Keyboard Shortcuts Explained In A Quick Video
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge Battery Life Test Shows Its Curved Display And Build Has Impacted Its Battery Performance