Weather Warning: Australia on Verge of Fires as Britons Battle Arctic Temperatures
By Dominic Gover | December 4, 2012 1:10 AM EST
As Britain shivers in sub-zero temperatures, forecasters on the other side of the world are predicting record temperatures for Australia.
Snow has already brought chaos to Edinburgh, Glasgow and Teeside, and overnight temperatures are expected to plunge to -4, glazing long stretches of road in a deadly coalescence of ice and sleet.
However, in the Australian city of Brisbane, locals are fretting about a very different problem, as a summer heatwave raises the prospect of fires.
Temperatures in Brisbane are forecast to reach 39 degrees tomorrow, and the needle is creeping ever closer to the all-time record high of 41.2 degrees.
Antipodean weather expert Michelle Berry summed up what residents are facing, saying: "We're looking at gusty winds, very dry conditions and very hot temperatures. This is the kind of temperature that is well and truly above average. We're looking at an increasing fire danger."
There is forecast to be a whopping 36 degree difference between temperatures in Australia and the UK this week.
Councils have stockpiled 1.3m tons of road salt to help stop vehicles sliding off the road. A fleet of gritters was put on standby, after previous icy winters overwhelmed response crews and provoked an angry outcry.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess All Smiles In First Public Appearance, Sickness Seems Over
- Kate Middleton To Give Birth To A 'Cheerful' Baby, Duchess Not Carrying Twins---Report
- Woman Stuck In Chimney: Genoveva Nunez-Figueroa Arrested For Attempted Break-In After Rescue Team Pulls Stuck Woman Out Of Chimney
- Naked Russian Artist Strikes Anew, Cuts Off Earlobes To Protest Return Of Soviet-Era Policies
- Ebola Fears Cause Hysteria In United States And Around The World
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- Meizu MX4 Pro To Arrive In November In Black And White Colours, Features Higher Than QHD Display, Exynos 5430 SoC And 3 GB RAM
- Israel Loses A Friend in UN Security Council As New Zealand Replaces Australia
- Severe iPhone 6 Supply Shortage Will Last Until Q1 2015 as Apple Grapples to Meet Heavy Demand