Weather Warning: Australia on Verge of Fires as Britons Battle Arctic Temperatures
By Dominic Gover | December 4, 2012 1:10 AM EST
As Britain shivers in sub-zero temperatures, forecasters on the other side of the world are predicting record temperatures for Australia.
Snow has already brought chaos to Edinburgh, Glasgow and Teeside, and overnight temperatures are expected to plunge to -4, glazing long stretches of road in a deadly coalescence of ice and sleet.
However, in the Australian city of Brisbane, locals are fretting about a very different problem, as a summer heatwave raises the prospect of fires.
Temperatures in Brisbane are forecast to reach 39 degrees tomorrow, and the needle is creeping ever closer to the all-time record high of 41.2 degrees.
Antipodean weather expert Michelle Berry summed up what residents are facing, saying: "We're looking at gusty winds, very dry conditions and very hot temperatures. This is the kind of temperature that is well and truly above average. We're looking at an increasing fire danger."
There is forecast to be a whopping 36 degree difference between temperatures in Australia and the UK this week.
Councils have stockpiled 1.3m tons of road salt to help stop vehicles sliding off the road. A fleet of gritters was put on standby, after previous icy winters overwhelmed response crews and provoked an angry outcry.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Six English Words Which Originated From Arabic
- ISIS Educates Young Children in 'School of Jihad,' Deploys Them in Active Combat After Graduation [VIDEO]
- Robots May Be Used to Fight Ebola in West Africa; Australian PM Admits US, UK Asked For Medical Teams
- Decades-Long Mystery of Oklahoma Lake Solved, Missing Six Bodies Identified
- Belgium Chocolate Maker ISIS Forced To Change Brand Name To Escape Customer Fury
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS