Facebook to Track ‘Keeping Our Kids Safe From Predators 2’ Paedophile Monitoring Page
By Ewan Palmer | December 4, 2012 12:52 AM EST
Facebook said it will track the content of a paedophile monitoring page after it was forced to remove an identical predecessor page by a high court order.
The page "Keeping our kids safe from predators" was removed after a convicted sex offender who appeared on the page won a court order against it. A judge ruled that some of the content amounted to harassment and breached the man's human rights.
Almost immediately, however, a second Facbook page, "Keeping our kids safe from predators 2", appeared on Facebook. Again, it features the names and pictures of convicted sex offenders.
The second page, which has gained over 3,500 "likes" carries a warning that rude or threatening comments will lead to the removal of the commentator.
A spokesman for Facebook told IBTimes UK that the page was not violating the company's terms and conditions but that it would be monitored.
A spokesman said: "Consistent with the court order, the [first] page is unavailable. We will be studying the text of the order before deciding on [our] next steps."
The man who took the case to court, who cannot be named, was jailed for six years for sex offences committed more than two decades ago.
His lawyers are seeking disclosure of the identity of the man who set up the original page. It is not clear if the person responsible for the second page also made the original one, but one of the earliest posts by the page administrator read: "Back 2 the start i go everything i shared from the last page is gone grrrrrrrrrrrr :( just not fair at all."
In his court ruling, Justice McCloskey said: "Society has dealt with the plaintiff in accordance with the rule of law.
"He has been punished by incarceration and he is subject to substantial daily restrictions on his lifestyle."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Six English Words Which Originated From Arabic
- ISIS Educates Young Children in 'School of Jihad,' Deploys Them in Active Combat After Graduation [VIDEO]
- Gay Community In Liberia Persecuted For Ebola; Church Leaders Call Virus 'Punishment' For Homosexuality
- Robots May Be Used to Fight Ebola in West Africa; Australian PM Admits US, UK Asked For Medical Teams
- Decades-Long Mystery of Oklahoma Lake Solved, Missing Six Bodies Identified
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Shifts Blame On US For Ukraine Crisis, Putin Accuses West of 'Remaking World'
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine