NFL Player Jovan Belcher Dies in Murder-Suicide at Arrowhead Stadium in Kansas
By Toyin Owoseje | December 4, 2012 12:37 AM EST
An American football star has shot his girlfriend before turning the gun on himself in front of his coach and manager.
Kansas City Chiefs linebacker Jovan Belcher shot his girlfriend Kasandra Michelle Perkins at their home, before driving to his team's Arrowhead stadium and turning the gun on himself in the car park.
The 25-year-old sportsman thanked manager Scott Pioli and coach Romeo Crennel for giving him the opportunity to play before pulling the trigger, police spokesman Darin Snapp said. Law enforcement confirmed that nobody else was injured at the facility.
Although there is no clear motive for the murder, Police Capt. David Lindaman said Belcher and 22-year-old Perkins had been having relationship problems and argued on the morning of the tragedy.
The couple's three-month-old daughter Zoey was in another room of their home on Crysler Avenue, Kansas City at the time of the shooting. Belcher's mother, who was also in the house, witnessed the murder and called the police.
Chiefs chairman Clark Hunt described the murder-suicide as an "unthinkable tragedy", adding:
"The entire Chiefs family is deeply saddened by today's events, and our collective hearts are heavy with sympathy, thoughts and prayers for the families and friends affected by this unthinkable tragedy.
"We sincerely appreciate the expressions of sympathy and support we have received from so many in the Kansas City and NFL communities, and ask for continued prayers for the loved ones of those impacted.
"We will continue to fully co-operate with the authorities and work to ensure that the appropriate counselling resources are available to all members of the organization."
Belcher joined the team as an undrafted free agent after graduating from the University of Maine. He had played in all 11 games this season.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Dionesian ‘Hex’: Pacquiao’s Secret Weapon Behind His 8 Titles
- Chris Algieri Exposed, Criticised For Lack Of Desire To Win Against Manny Pacquiao
- Arum Says Pacquiao's Victory vs Algieri May Cause Mayweather To Say ‘No’ To Dream Match
- Boxing News: Manny Pacquiao 'Ready' To Fight Floyd Mayweather In 2015 Following Algieri Win
- ESPN Anchor Skip Bayless Says Floyd Mayweather Jr Will Not Fight Manny Pacquiao Because Undefeated Fighter Is ‘Afraid To Lose’
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues