NFL Player Jovan Belcher Dies in Murder-Suicide at Arrowhead Stadium in Kansas
By Toyin Owoseje | December 4, 2012 12:37 AM EST
An American football star has shot his girlfriend before turning the gun on himself in front of his coach and manager.
Kansas City Chiefs linebacker Jovan Belcher shot his girlfriend Kasandra Michelle Perkins at their home, before driving to his team's Arrowhead stadium and turning the gun on himself in the car park.
The 25-year-old sportsman thanked manager Scott Pioli and coach Romeo Crennel for giving him the opportunity to play before pulling the trigger, police spokesman Darin Snapp said. Law enforcement confirmed that nobody else was injured at the facility.
Although there is no clear motive for the murder, Police Capt. David Lindaman said Belcher and 22-year-old Perkins had been having relationship problems and argued on the morning of the tragedy.
The couple's three-month-old daughter Zoey was in another room of their home on Crysler Avenue, Kansas City at the time of the shooting. Belcher's mother, who was also in the house, witnessed the murder and called the police.
Chiefs chairman Clark Hunt described the murder-suicide as an "unthinkable tragedy", adding:
"The entire Chiefs family is deeply saddened by today's events, and our collective hearts are heavy with sympathy, thoughts and prayers for the families and friends affected by this unthinkable tragedy.
"We sincerely appreciate the expressions of sympathy and support we have received from so many in the Kansas City and NFL communities, and ask for continued prayers for the loved ones of those impacted.
"We will continue to fully co-operate with the authorities and work to ensure that the appropriate counselling resources are available to all members of the organization."
Belcher joined the team as an undrafted free agent after graduating from the University of Maine. He had played in all 11 games this season.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports