New Zealand Pensioner Blinded by Vodka Saved by Whisky
By Hannah Osborne | December 4, 2012 12:15 AM EST
A pensioner from New Zealand went blind after drinking vodka only to regain his sight with the aid of whisky.
Denis Duthie, 65, was celebrating his parents' 50th wedding anniversary in Taranaki on New Zealand's North Island when he drunk some vodka given to him by his catering students from the Western Institute of Technology.
The vodka reacted with his diabetes medication and hours later Duthie lost his eyesight.
He told the New Zealand Herald: "I thought it had got dark and I'd missed out on a bit of time but it was only half past three in the afternoon. I was fumbling around the bedroom for the light switch.
"I'd just gone completely blind."
Duthie thought the blindness might be temporary and tried to sleep it off but he was still blind when he woke up the following morning.
He visited the Taranaki Base Hospital and was taken into theatre immediately. The surgeon said that when they cut into his stomach, there was a strong smell similar to nail varnish remover.
The doctor said that Duthie was suffering from formaldehyde poisoning, which is associated with consuming methanol. To counteract the poison, he needed ethanol, a type of alcohol found in whisky.
As the hospital did not have enough medical ethanol, the doctor went to the local off-licence and purchased a bottle of Johnnie Walker Black Label whisky, which was then drip-fed to Duthie.
"I woke up five days later and I could see as soon as I could open my eyes," Duthie said.
Vodka has been known to cause blindness by containing dangerous levels of methanol.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
Join the Conversation
- Fate of MH370, MH17 Trigger Mass Resignation of Crew in Malaysia Airlines
- ISIS $3 Million Daily Oil Revenues Fund Operations; Obama to Build International Coalition to Widen Assault
- British Cleric Accused of Urging James Foley Executioner; Predicted ISIS Will Fight in the West
- Amish Girls Abducted, Handcuffed And Used As Sex Slaves
- Boyfriend's Welcome Home Tribute In Candles Destroys His House
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Confirmed as Apple Sets Sept 9 iWatch, 2 iPhones Intro - Report
- Why Moto X is Not the Best Smartphone to Purchase Now?
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini vs. LG G3 S (aka LG G3 Beat, LG G3 Mini) – Specs, Features And Price Showdown
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected