Mexican Felons Would Rather Watch Javier Hernandez Than Commit Crime
By Dominic Gover | December 3, 2012 11:19 PM EST
Local police claim that crimes such as car-jackings, robberies and muggings all drop when the 24-year-old star, nicknamed Chicharito, is on the pitch for the Premier League titans.
Hernandez also appears to aid female fertility, as the number of women in labour increases markedly when he plays.
The Hernandez effect will come as a boost for Mexican law enforcement agencies, who have been locked in a bloody war with notorious drugs cartels since 2006.
Police chief Jorge Carlos Martinez, quoted in The Sun, said: "We need all the help we can get.
"It seems even the criminals want to take time off to see our hero play. Also the birth rates go up."
Hernandez joined United from Mexican club Guadalajara in 2010 and has scored 28 goals for the Old Trafford club. His Facebook page has 2.5 million fans in his homeland.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Manny Pacquiao Chasing Floyd Mayweather Jr. Because Of Money But Says Undefeated American Is Afraid Of Filipino - Analysts
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Driver's Mother Says People 'Shirking Responsibility' About The Accident
- Novak Djokovic Aims For World No. 1 Rank In 2015, Becker Says
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage