Cazorla Sees Title Chances Slipping Away with Inconsistent Arsenal
By Adrian Back | December 3, 2012 11:16 PM EST
Spanish midfielder Santi Cazorla believes that Arsenal must find a way to kill off games if they are to have any hope of competing for the Premier League title this season.
The north London side have slipped to 10th in the league after a disastrous 2-0 home defeat to Swansea at the weekend that further highlighted the problems that Arsene Wenger faces this season.
His side have struggled to create chances in recent weeks, highlighted in the defeat to Swansea and the goalless draw with Aston Villa, while earlier in the season they dropped points after being in winning positions.
Cazorla has been one of the shining lights as he has continued to excel, but he has warned that they will struggle to challenge the two Manchester clubs if they cannot become more consistent and learn to kill off games.
"We don't know exactly what the problem is," Cazorla told the Daily Mail. "'It's true that we're inconsistent. I believe that to challenge for the Premier League, those games can't get away from us. Take the Fulham game, we were 2-0 up. You can't then be drawing within five minutes. Those points aren't coming back.
"And the other day against Aston Villa, there's a game which I believe we really had the desire to win, because these are points that we can't let get away. Then you see City, United winning on those days. That's the difference. To fight for the title, it's about taking points from those teams.
"It's a little bit frustrating. We're a good team, good players, training well. But there are moments in those games when we don't know how to control them. There's a significant gap between us and United and City. They've got away a bit. We have very little margin for error."
In fact Wenger's side have only managed to win five of their opening 15 Premier League games this season and have particularly struggled in front of goal without Robin van Persie.
Cazorla would undoubtedly have loved to play with the Dutchman, who departed in order to win trophies he believed could not be delivered at the Emirates, but he does not see his departure as a negative as he believes Arsenal still have a squad capable of challenging for major honours.
"Van Persie and Fabregas, they might have been thinking that way. If I remember right, it's eight years without a title. Then when clubs like Barcelona and United come along, these are big clubs," states Cazorla.
"But so are Arsenal, they are always in contention for the Premier League, for the Champions League. At a club like this, you always think you can win titles. Hopefully, we can. The squad are capable of it."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- Rafael Nadal’s Coach Reveals The Spanish Athlete Will Be Back On Court Soon
- Boxing News 2014: Showtime VP Favours Pacquiao As Mayweather’s Next Ring Opponent; Money May Insists Fight Should Be Over Showtime PPV Only
- Three Reasons Why Brock Lesnar Must Fight The Undertaker At Night Of Champions And Not John Cena [VIDEO]
- Michael Schumacher Rehabilitation Update: F1 Champion In-Home Health Care And Services Consist Of 15 Medical Staff
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Canadian IS Jihadist Who Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers