HSBC names new head of retail banking as Thurston retires
December 3, 2012 10:00 PM EST
Europe's biggest bank said Flint will become chief executive on January 1 of RBWM, one of the bank's four global businesses. Previously known as personal financial services, RBWM has more than 50 million customers and made an operating profit of $4.3 billion (2.6 billion pounds) last year, a fifth of the group.
Flint, 44, joined HSBC in 1989 and has worked in Hong Kong, Singapore, Indonesia, Thailand, India, Bahrain, the United States and Britain. He has been head of strategy and planning and chief of staff to the CEO since the start of this year.
Guilherme Lima, who joined two years ago from McKinsey as group head of strategy, will take Flint's role.
Stuart Gulliver, group chief executive, is restructuring HSBC to cut costs and axe unprofitable areas to lift returns, which has seen several changes in senior management.
Gulliver said Thurston, 59, had wanted to retire two years ago but stayed on to manage RBWM during the reorganisation, which aimed to make it more of a global business.
Thurston joined HSBC in 1975 and has run its retail banking in Hong Kong and Asia-Pacific and held top roles for Mexico, Latin America and UK retail banking.
(Reporting by Steve Slater; Editing by Greg Mahlich)
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch