Samsung Outperforms Apple in US Mobile Market; iPhone Maker Ranked No. 2 for First Time
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | December 3, 2012 8:45 PM EST
South Korean tech giant Samsung has widened its supremacy in the US mobile market, said a latest report.
According to data released by comScore, Samsung continues to outdo Apple in the US market with 26.3 percent of the domestic market share. Apple has slipped down to second place for the first time with 17.8 percent of the OEM market share.
South Korean company LG grabbed the third spot with 17.6 percent followed by Motorola with 11 percent share.
The report also showed that in the smartphone operating systems market Google's Android system has topped with 53.6 percent, up from 52.2 percent. Apple's iOS platform retained its position in the second place with a slight increase in the market share at 34.3 percent. RIM, Microsoft, and Symbian rounded off the top five respectively. The report also showed that Microsoft saw a dip in share market from 3.6 percent to 3.2 percent, despite the release of its Windows Phone 8.
The comScore survey has studied 30,000 US mobile subscribers aged 13 and above during the three month period. Samsung had overtaken Apple in smartphone sales in the third quarter of the fiscal year too.
According a report by International Data Corporation (IDC), Apple's tablet share market fell down to 50 percent even though the number of iPad units shipped this year increased from 11 million to 14 million.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- Meizu MX4 Pro To Arrive In November In Black And White Colours, Features Higher Than QHD Display, Exynos 5430 SoC And 3 GB RAM
- Israel Loses A Friend in UN Security Council As New Zealand Replaces Australia
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery