Samsung Outperforms Apple in US Mobile Market; iPhone Maker Ranked No. 2 for First Time
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | December 3, 2012 8:45 PM EST
South Korean tech giant Samsung has widened its supremacy in the US mobile market, said a latest report.
According to data released by comScore, Samsung continues to outdo Apple in the US market with 26.3 percent of the domestic market share. Apple has slipped down to second place for the first time with 17.8 percent of the OEM market share.
South Korean company LG grabbed the third spot with 17.6 percent followed by Motorola with 11 percent share.
The report also showed that in the smartphone operating systems market Google's Android system has topped with 53.6 percent, up from 52.2 percent. Apple's iOS platform retained its position in the second place with a slight increase in the market share at 34.3 percent. RIM, Microsoft, and Symbian rounded off the top five respectively. The report also showed that Microsoft saw a dip in share market from 3.6 percent to 3.2 percent, despite the release of its Windows Phone 8.
The comScore survey has studied 30,000 US mobile subscribers aged 13 and above during the three month period. Samsung had overtaken Apple in smartphone sales in the third quarter of the fiscal year too.
According a report by International Data Corporation (IDC), Apple's tablet share market fell down to 50 percent even though the number of iPad units shipped this year increased from 11 million to 14 million.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tesco Facing Crisis After Chairman Quits Citing Accounting Scandal In The Retail Giant
- Australian Federal Court Fines Reebok $350,000 & Orders Refunds For Shoe Endorsed By Miranda Kerr That Claims Unproven Health Benefits
- Sydney Software Firm Bigcommerce Teams Up With Alibaba To Beat Amazon
- Perth Call Centre Staff Bad In English And Not Philippine And Indian Counterparts, Telstra Boss Says
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’