Samsung Outperforms Apple in US Mobile Market; iPhone Maker Ranked No. 2 for First Time
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | December 3, 2012 8:45 PM EST
South Korean tech giant Samsung has widened its supremacy in the US mobile market, said a latest report.
According to data released by comScore, Samsung continues to outdo Apple in the US market with 26.3 percent of the domestic market share. Apple has slipped down to second place for the first time with 17.8 percent of the OEM market share.
South Korean company LG grabbed the third spot with 17.6 percent followed by Motorola with 11 percent share.
The report also showed that in the smartphone operating systems market Google's Android system has topped with 53.6 percent, up from 52.2 percent. Apple's iOS platform retained its position in the second place with a slight increase in the market share at 34.3 percent. RIM, Microsoft, and Symbian rounded off the top five respectively. The report also showed that Microsoft saw a dip in share market from 3.6 percent to 3.2 percent, despite the release of its Windows Phone 8.
The comScore survey has studied 30,000 US mobile subscribers aged 13 and above during the three month period. Samsung had overtaken Apple in smartphone sales in the third quarter of the fiscal year too.
According a report by International Data Corporation (IDC), Apple's tablet share market fell down to 50 percent even though the number of iPad units shipped this year increased from 11 million to 14 million.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Apple Inc Shifting to 'Lifestyle Brand' Under Tim Cook; Samsung Losing Smartphone Numbers War
- New Malaysia Airlines Caught in Adelaide Airport Latest Scare
- Formula 1 Chief Sues Google over Sex Party Pictures
- Instagram's Newest App Bolt Now Available Exclusively in New Zealand, Singapore and South Africa
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- HTC One M8 Windows Phone to Launch for Verizon; Release Date, Price, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate for New Smartphone
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff