Samsung Outperforms Apple in US Mobile Market; iPhone Maker Ranked No. 2 for First Time
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | December 3, 2012 8:45 PM EST
South Korean tech giant Samsung has widened its supremacy in the US mobile market, said a latest report.
According to data released by comScore, Samsung continues to outdo Apple in the US market with 26.3 percent of the domestic market share. Apple has slipped down to second place for the first time with 17.8 percent of the OEM market share.
South Korean company LG grabbed the third spot with 17.6 percent followed by Motorola with 11 percent share.
The report also showed that in the smartphone operating systems market Google's Android system has topped with 53.6 percent, up from 52.2 percent. Apple's iOS platform retained its position in the second place with a slight increase in the market share at 34.3 percent. RIM, Microsoft, and Symbian rounded off the top five respectively. The report also showed that Microsoft saw a dip in share market from 3.6 percent to 3.2 percent, despite the release of its Windows Phone 8.
The comScore survey has studied 30,000 US mobile subscribers aged 13 and above during the three month period. Samsung had overtaken Apple in smartphone sales in the third quarter of the fiscal year too.
According a report by International Data Corporation (IDC), Apple's tablet share market fell down to 50 percent even though the number of iPad units shipped this year increased from 11 million to 14 million.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- Nexus 6 Release Date Dilemma with Motorola Shamu Details Pointing to Better Smartphone and Killer Features
- iPhone 6 Release Date Remains On Course for Sept-Oct 2014 as Apple Delays iWatch Debut to 2015