Samsung Outperforms Apple in US Mobile Market; iPhone Maker Ranked No. 2 for First Time
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | December 3, 2012 8:45 PM EST
South Korean tech giant Samsung has widened its supremacy in the US mobile market, said a latest report.
According to data released by comScore, Samsung continues to outdo Apple in the US market with 26.3 percent of the domestic market share. Apple has slipped down to second place for the first time with 17.8 percent of the OEM market share.
South Korean company LG grabbed the third spot with 17.6 percent followed by Motorola with 11 percent share.
The report also showed that in the smartphone operating systems market Google's Android system has topped with 53.6 percent, up from 52.2 percent. Apple's iOS platform retained its position in the second place with a slight increase in the market share at 34.3 percent. RIM, Microsoft, and Symbian rounded off the top five respectively. The report also showed that Microsoft saw a dip in share market from 3.6 percent to 3.2 percent, despite the release of its Windows Phone 8.
The comScore survey has studied 30,000 US mobile subscribers aged 13 and above during the three month period. Samsung had overtaken Apple in smartphone sales in the third quarter of the fiscal year too.
According a report by International Data Corporation (IDC), Apple's tablet share market fell down to 50 percent even though the number of iPad units shipped this year increased from 11 million to 14 million.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- California Fruits Recalled in USA and Canada for Possible Listeria Contamination
- Malaysian Airlines Flight 17: Air Carrier Losing $1.6 Million/Day; Crisis Management Experts Suggest Hiring Risk Expert as CEO
- The IBM and Apple Merger: Will it Spell Trouble to Rival Companies
- Biggest Australian IPO in 4 Years as Healthscope Could Raises $2.12 Billion
- CBA, NAB, Westpac in Fixed Rate War Offering Below 5% Interest
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales