Australian Hospitals Now to Use Automated Robots
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | December 3, 2012 2:12 PM EST
Australian patients and their caretakers better start getting used to having some of their hospital requirements served by an automatic guided vehicle (AGV), with the Royal North Shore Hospital in New South Wales the very first to engage the modern technology.
Jillian Skinner, NSW health minister, announced over the weekend the Royal North Shore Hospital became the first hospital in the entire resource-rich nation to utilise the robots.
"Not only will they assist staff to do their jobs more efficiently without the risk of painful injuries, they will reduce accidental cross-contamination of goods during transport," Ms Skinner was quoted by The Big Pond News.
At a cost of $4 million in total, Royal North Shore's 13 AGVs came from Germany and hs been scheduled to be fully operational later this month.
Most often used in industrial applications to move materials around a manufacturing facility or a warehouse, the application of an AGV inside hospitals are likewise becoming increasingly popular in the healthcare industry for efficient transport.
The AGVs stationed at the Royal North Shore Hospital's new acute services building, according to Ms Skinner, will deliver and collect 3,600 meal trays per day, on top of hundreds of clean as well as dirty linen and other essential waste from all over the hospital.
The flatbed-styled vehicles will be placed under trolleys for a safe, quiet and efficient transport of supplies around the hospital, almost oblivious to the staff and also so as not to disturb the recovering and sick patients.
Royal North Shore Hospital has designated certain lifts in the building for the exclusive use of the AGVs. Equipped with flashing lights, turn signals as well as audible voice technology, these will be utilised every time to notify people of their approach.
They will not enter clinical areas, according to The Big Pond News report.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Travel Alert: Australia Mulls To Review Airport Security Policy, Could Allow Scissors, Metal Cutlery Back In Planes
- 5 Likely Reasons Why You Are Not Getting Hired
- This Is How Obesity Weighs Down Global Economy By 2 Trillion Dollars Every Year
- Consumer Alert: Retailer Simons Goes Out Of Quebec, To Open Five Stores Across Canada
- Signs That You Are A Smartphone Zombie (And The Dangers This Poses)
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- 16GB iPhone 6 for $99 at Sam’s Club is the Best 2014 Black Friday Deal Around