Australian Hospitals Now to Use Automated Robots
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | December 3, 2012 2:12 PM EST
Australian patients and their caretakers better start getting used to having some of their hospital requirements served by an automatic guided vehicle (AGV), with the Royal North Shore Hospital in New South Wales the very first to engage the modern technology.
Jillian Skinner, NSW health minister, announced over the weekend the Royal North Shore Hospital became the first hospital in the entire resource-rich nation to utilise the robots.
"Not only will they assist staff to do their jobs more efficiently without the risk of painful injuries, they will reduce accidental cross-contamination of goods during transport," Ms Skinner was quoted by The Big Pond News.
At a cost of $4 million in total, Royal North Shore's 13 AGVs came from Germany and hs been scheduled to be fully operational later this month.
Most often used in industrial applications to move materials around a manufacturing facility or a warehouse, the application of an AGV inside hospitals are likewise becoming increasingly popular in the healthcare industry for efficient transport.
The AGVs stationed at the Royal North Shore Hospital's new acute services building, according to Ms Skinner, will deliver and collect 3,600 meal trays per day, on top of hundreds of clean as well as dirty linen and other essential waste from all over the hospital.
The flatbed-styled vehicles will be placed under trolleys for a safe, quiet and efficient transport of supplies around the hospital, almost oblivious to the staff and also so as not to disturb the recovering and sick patients.
Royal North Shore Hospital has designated certain lifts in the building for the exclusive use of the AGVs. Equipped with flashing lights, turn signals as well as audible voice technology, these will be utilised every time to notify people of their approach.
They will not enter clinical areas, according to The Big Pond News report.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools
- 5 Food Scandals That Shocked The World
- China Crackdown Against Christianity: Removes Church Cross, Cites Building Code Violation
- Australia’s Richest People Under 30 in 2014
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date