RBS needs 10 years to return to private sector - Times
December 3, 2012 1:42 PM EST
It will take a decade to fully return Royal Bank of Scotland to the private sector, the state-owned lender has predicted, according to the UK's Times newspaper on Monday.
The bank plans to be ready to start paying dividends in late 2014, the Times reported, without citing a source.
After an additional 18 months of bolstering the bank's balance sheet, senior RBS figures believe that it will be returned to the private sector in four offerings over 10 years, the newspaper said.
Each of these offerings would amount to more than 10 billion pounds ($16 billion), the report added.
In 2008, Britain pumped 45.5 billion pounds into RBS, leaving the taxpayer with an 82 percent holding in the bank.
On Friday RBS, which trades on the London stock exchange, closed at 295 pence per share, representing a market capitalisation of 17.9 billion pounds.
Last week, the Bank of England warned that British banks' true capital position was probably worse than what the relatively healthy official numbers imply.
The bank said that this is because banks have been over-optimistic about the future financial market dangers due to their over-optimistic assessment of the risks facing them.
(Reporting By Dasha Afanasieva)
Most Popular Slideshows
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Monday Night Football Recap: Chicago Bears 27, New York Jets 19
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?