RBS needs 10 years to return to private sector - Times
December 3, 2012 1:42 PM EST
It will take a decade to fully return Royal Bank of Scotland to the private sector, the state-owned lender has predicted, according to the UK's Times newspaper on Monday.
The bank plans to be ready to start paying dividends in late 2014, the Times reported, without citing a source.
After an additional 18 months of bolstering the bank's balance sheet, senior RBS figures believe that it will be returned to the private sector in four offerings over 10 years, the newspaper said.
Each of these offerings would amount to more than 10 billion pounds ($16 billion), the report added.
In 2008, Britain pumped 45.5 billion pounds into RBS, leaving the taxpayer with an 82 percent holding in the bank.
On Friday RBS, which trades on the London stock exchange, closed at 295 pence per share, representing a market capitalisation of 17.9 billion pounds.
Last week, the Bank of England warned that British banks' true capital position was probably worse than what the relatively healthy official numbers imply.
The bank said that this is because banks have been over-optimistic about the future financial market dangers due to their over-optimistic assessment of the risks facing them.
(Reporting By Dasha Afanasieva)
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS