RBS needs 10 years to return to private sector - Times
December 3, 2012 1:42 PM EST
It will take a decade to fully return Royal Bank of Scotland to the private sector, the state-owned lender has predicted, according to the UK's Times newspaper on Monday.
The bank plans to be ready to start paying dividends in late 2014, the Times reported, without citing a source.
After an additional 18 months of bolstering the bank's balance sheet, senior RBS figures believe that it will be returned to the private sector in four offerings over 10 years, the newspaper said.
Each of these offerings would amount to more than 10 billion pounds ($16 billion), the report added.
In 2008, Britain pumped 45.5 billion pounds into RBS, leaving the taxpayer with an 82 percent holding in the bank.
On Friday RBS, which trades on the London stock exchange, closed at 295 pence per share, representing a market capitalisation of 17.9 billion pounds.
Last week, the Bank of England warned that British banks' true capital position was probably worse than what the relatively healthy official numbers imply.
The bank said that this is because banks have been over-optimistic about the future financial market dangers due to their over-optimistic assessment of the risks facing them.
(Reporting By Dasha Afanasieva)
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton First Official Solo Trip: Details For Malta Tour Revealed [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Apple on iPhone 6 Release Date One Week After September 9 Despite Display Shortage Starting $800
- James Foley Video Had A Change Of Actor – Expert Points Out
- Canada Concerned About Russia’s Military Expansion in Arctic
- Nokia X2 vs. Nokia Lumia 530 - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Trending: Ice Bucket Challenge Replaced By Rubble Bucket Challenge By People Of Gaza
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features