Queensland Govt Pushes Through Closures of TAFE Campuses
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | December 3, 2012 1:39 PM EST
The state government of Queensland has finally approved to push through with the closures and sale of some 13 empty TAFE (Technical and Further Education) Campuses, while another 12 are being planned to be combined the Central Queensland Institute of TAFE and the Central Queensland University.
The disposal and consolidation of Queensland's TAFE colleges are meant to provide students with modern and equipped campuses, rather than just crumbling educational institutions.
"We want TAFEs that are modern and up to date and full of students. We don't want ageing, crumbling relics that are withering on the vine," John-Paul Langbroek, Queensland's Education Minister, said over the weekend.
Most of the 13 TAFEs targeted for sale were the unused campuses in Brisbane. Sale proceeds, according to Mr Langbroek, will still go back to the TAFEs.
An independent report submitted earlier in November recommended the closure of half of Queensland's 80 plus TAFE campuses in order to focus on building and providing skills training that will surely aid the improvement of the state's economy. Specifically, more money should be spent on more training geared towards mining, tourism, agriculture and construction courses, the report pointed out.
"We want to make sure TAFE courses align with government priorities and meet demands in the marketplace, to produce real career outcomes for VET students," Mr Langbroek earlier said.
But Brendan Sheehan, a policy consultant, blasted the state government's concentration on just four industry areas. "There are things that are central to the economy, but what about things central to the community? We need a lot more aged care workers," he was quoted by The Australian.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
Join the Conversation
- 5 Uncanny Jobs That Actually Pay Very Well
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Russian International Condemnation Extends to 2018 World Cup
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Multi-Million Pound Law Suit Looms Over Putin’s Head, Assets At Risk
- Magaluf 2014 Update: Spanish Bar Where Teen Performed Sex Acts Closed, to Pay $78K Fine Along with Carnage Event Planner (VIDEOS)
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 Android 5.0 L Material Design Coming with More Interface Changes
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- Samsung Galaxy S4 LTE-A Android 4.4.2 KitKat Update Rolls Out: When to Hit Your Region
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- OnePlus One Android 4.4.4 KitKat and Android L Update Guide