Rick Majerus Dies Saturday Awaiting Heart Transplant; Former Coach Was Beloved For Off-The-Court Quirks
By IB Times Staff Reporter | December 3, 2012 2:03 AM EST
Rick Majerus, one of the most popular college basketball coaches to step on the floor, died Saturday in Los Angeles at 64 while awaiting a heart transplant. Majerus coached four teams and had only one losing season on his record, leading the University of Utah to the national championship game in 1998. His longtime friend Jon M. Hunstman confirmed Majerus’ death to the Salt Lake Tribune.
The coach left Utah in 2003 because of health problems, going on to coach St. Louis University for five years before stepping away as heart trouble sidelined him from basketball permanently. He underwent bypass surgery in 1989 and was waiting for a transplant at the time of his death.
Decades in the game combined with a personality that everyone seemed to love brought Majerus many friends, many of whom are still players or coaches in the NCAA and NBA. Steve Fisher, a coach at San Diego State who met Majerus when he was a graduate assistant at Marquette, told ESPN the news was tough to take.
“Rick would hold court at night with a case of beer in the basement," Fisher said. "Phenomenal coach, a better person, cared about family, cared about people. He will be missed by everyone.”
Majerus would swim laps daily, but friends said he often joked about his weight. The struggle to maintain his health was a long one, a stent was installed in his heart in 2011 but over the past six months his health was reportedly in rapid decline.
He was known throughout the sports world for a series of lovable personality quirks that saw him live in hotel suites near university campuses and decorating the team roster with players from all over the globe.
“It was a unique experience, I’ll tell you that, and I loved every minute of it,” former player Kyle Cassity told ESPN of playing for Majerus. “A lot of people questioned the way he did things, but I loved it. He’d be hard as hell on you, but he really cared.”
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- 2014 Davis Cup Final: Switzerland Vs. France - Roger Federer Vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Michael Schumacher Update: Rep Responds To Streiff’s Comments—‘He’s Neither A Friend Nor Has He Ever Visited Him’
- LA Lakers: Kobe Bryant Attributes Past Outburst Against Dwight Howard To 'Heat Of The Moment,' Doesn't Feel The Same Way As Durant Does
- Boxing News: Freddie Roach Not Buying Into Arum's Claim Of Pacquiao v Mayweather In 2015, Claims 'Money' Will Say 'No' After Algieri Fight
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri Betting Odds: American Knockout Of Filipino Pays $10,000 From A $100 Bet
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top 9 TV Deals Starting From $99 To $899
- BlackBerry Classic (aka Q20) Keyboard Shortcuts Explained In A Quick Video
- Julie Bishop Condemns Barack Obama For Overlooking Australia’s Commitment in Protecting Great Barrier Reef