House Speaker Boehner says no progress in budget talks
December 3, 2012 1:56 AM EST
House Speaker John Boehner said White House and Republican negotiators had made no progress in talks to avert the "fiscal cliff" of sharp tax hikes and deep spending cuts that looms early in January.
"We're nowhere" Boehner, the top House Republican, said on "Fox News Sunday."
"We've put a serious offer on the table by putting revenues up there. ... But the White House has responded with virtually nothing," he said.
Boehner said Congress will never agree to the White House suggestion that the federal debt limit be raised without a congressional vote. "Congress is never going to give up that power. ... It is the only way to leverage the political process." he said.
(Reporting by Jackie Frank; Editing by Bill Trott)
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]