Mancini Hits Out at Mourinho as Madrid’s Special One is Linked with Etihad
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | December 2, 2012 11:09 PM EST
Manchester City manager Roberto Mancini has criticised Real Madrid coach Jose Mourinho, after rumours about the latter succeeding him at the Etihad Stadium next season. The Portuguese tactician, a former Chelsea manager, has also been linked with Premier League rivals Manchester United, when Sir Alex Ferguson decides to step down.
Mourinho's relationship with the Santiago Bernabeu outfit seems to be rapidly deteriorating, following a hostile reception at the weekend's Madrid derby in Spain. Real beat cross-town rivals Atletico Madrid 2-0, with goals from Cristiano Ronaldo and Mesut Ozil, to recover from a surprising defeat to Real Betis in their last league game.
There is little love lost between Mancini and Mourinho, and were the Portuguese to take over at the English champions for next season, it would be the second time he succeeded the Italian; Mourinho was appointed to Inter Milan after the Nerazzurri fired the former Lazio manager in 2008.
As far as Mancini's tenure in Manchester is concerned, the Italian is undoubtedly under pressure to change the club's European results. City have been eliminated from the group stage of the Champions League for the second straight season, after a barely deserved 1-1 home draw to Madrid. The Premier League champions travel to Germany in midweek, to play Bundesliga champions Borussia Dortmund and will need to win and hope Dutch champions Ajax lose to Madrid in Spain, in order to qualify for the UEFA Europa League.
The good news is City's domestic form is better, marginally so. The club are still unbeaten in the league and are second to leaders United, whom they trail by three points. But with six draws from the 15 league games so far, Mancini will need to push results further to keep his job safe. However, the Italian claims he still has the backing of club owner Sheikh Mansour and has been quoted as dismissing Mourinho's attempts to destabilise his position.
"I am happy. I read that one day Mourinho is going to PSG, one day he's in Inter, Manchester City, Manchester United, then Chelsea. I think he works well for this. It's not important though. This is our job and I don't feel any pressure," Mancini explained.
Mourinho, for his part, is still recovering after a disastrous start to the La Liga season. Madrid, the defending champions, are already 11 points behind rivals and leaders Barcelona, meaning that barring a major miracle, it is unlikely the capital club will seal back-to-back league wins.
Both Madrid and City fans took to heckling their respective managers at the weekend league fixtures (City were held by Everton).
Mourinho has long claimed he wants to return to English top flight at some point in his coaching career and it is believed he will do so with one of the Manchester clubs.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal’s Coach Reveals The Spanish Athlete Will Be Back On Court Soon
- Manny Pacquiao Is The Greatest Fighter That Ever Lived Declares Magician David Blaine
- Guardiola Mockingly States That Man Utd Does Not Have The Means To Acquire Bayern Munich Players
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Superfight Won’t Happen Because Floyd Is Scared Of Left-Handed Boxers, Pacman - Bob Arum
- Serena Williams Shows Off Her Bikini Body With Eva Longoria At The Miami Beach After US Open Victory
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet
- Spice Dream Uno vs Xiaomi Redmi 1S: Android One Smartphone to Challenge The Existing Budget Friendly Smartphone