Spurs Look to Steal Ajax Youngster from Rivals - Report
By Chandrashekar Srinivasan | December 2, 2012 9:20 PM EST
Tottenham Hotspur are on the trail of Danish midfielder Christian Eriksen, who plays for Dutch champions Ajax Amsterdam. The 20-year-old playmaker is highly rated by Europe's top clubs and there were a number of rumours about his future at the start of the 2012/13 season, with Premier League leaders Manchester United strongly linked. The Red Devils and Spurs aside, defending English champions Manchester City and Liverpool have also expressed interest.
The Amsterdam Arena club have resigned themselves to their star leaving at some point, but are unlikely to part with him in a mid-season window, particularly with the club involved in an exciting five-way fight for the Eredivisie crown this season; Ajax are fourth with 30 points from 15 games and trail leaders FC Twente by only four points.
"Spurs have been strongly sniffing around Eriksen for a while and have already made an enquiry about a January transfer," a source told Goal.com, adding, "It won't happen unless the fee is ridiculously high but they still have a real chance next summer."
Meanwhile, the player himself is believed to favour a move to Spain's La Liga and one of either champions Real Madrid or their rivals Barcelona, although neither of the Spanish giants has made any comment on his interest.
Eriksen is contracted to his club until 2014, which means the Dutch outfit will have the upper hand should they choose to start negotiations next summer. It is unlikely, at this stage, that Eriksen will sign an extension. Ajax's sporting director, Marc Overmars, has confirmed the youngster is not interested but refused to rule out the possibility of further discussions in December. Eriksen, meanwhile, has been quoted as saying he wants to "try something new".
"We want Christian to sign a new deal, but he is not interested," the former Arsenal and Barcelona star explained, adding, "We do have talks planned with him and his agent, so we will have to see what happens..."
Tottenham are currently fourth in the Premier League, with 26 points from 15 games. The White Hart Lane club beat Fulham 3-0 at Craven Cottage in a weekend fixture, to record a third straight league win.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Serena Williams Swagger Back After US Open - Mark Hodgkinson
- Manny Pacquiao Is The Greatest Fighter That Ever Lived Declares Magician David Blaine
- Evander Holyfield Says That He Didn’t Make Comments About Floyd Mayweather Fighting With Manny Pacquiao
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Micromax Canvas A1 Vs Spice Dream Uno Vs Karbonn Sparkle V: A Choice On Which Android Is The Best