Taliban Suicide Bombers Attack US Base In Afghanistan
By Amrutha Gayathri | December 2, 2012 8:29 PM EST
A major U.S. base in eastern Afghanistan came under attack early Sunday morning by Taliban suicide bombers, who detonated explosives at the entrance of the base and exchanged gunfire with U.S. helicopters for at least two hours.
A member of the Afghan security forces was killed apart from the attackers though the authorities are yet to confirm the exact number of those who were part of the attack on the airfield, used by the U.S. and NATO forces, in the eastern city of Jalalabad. The assault that began at 6 a.m. and the subsequent fighting ended by mid-morning.
A dozen bodies in Afghan police and military uniforms were found scattered around the airfield gate, Reuters reported citing local police officials. However, it remains to be seen if the attackers were Afghan security forces or militants dressed in uniforms, a tactic the Taliban has deployed in the past.
"We can confirm insurgents, including multiple suicide bombers, attacked Jalalabad Airfield this morning. None of the attackers succeeded in breaching the perimeter," Lt. Col. Hagen Messer, a spokesman for the international military coalition, told the Associated Press (AP) in an email.
The attack highlighted the looming security vacuum in Afghanistan with the foreign combat troops slated to pull out in 2014.
Afghan officials told BBC that first four attackers had arrived in explosive-laden cars and had targeted different entrances to the airfield, while three others who had followed on foot attacked security guards.
Taliban spokesman Zabiullah Mujahid, in his messages to Reuters and AP claimed to have stormed the facility bringing “heavy casualties to the enemy.”
A spokesman for the Afghan Defense Ministry, Gen. Mohammad Zahir Azimi said none of the militants were able to enter the base while the NATO military coalition described it as a failed attack.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- ACT Party's Demand to Re Consider Maoris Privileges Evokes Reprimand
- Opinion Poll in New Zealand Shows National Party Far Ahead in Popular Support
- “Women should not laugh in public” - Turkish Deputy PM says
- Iran Leader Asks Muslims to Supply Arms to Palestine, Calls Israel ‘Rapacious Wolf’
- Canada Claims Good Progress in EU Trade Pact Despite Germany’s Defiant Postures
- Transfer News: Ron Vlaar to Consider Villa Exit, May Move to Tottenham
- AS Roma's Seydou Keita Throws Water Bottle at Real Madrid defender Pepe for Spitting [VIDEO]
- The Mentalist Season 7 Spoilers: CBS Skips Simon Baker's Patrick Jane in Fall Schedule, Josie Loren Joins Cast
- Game of Thrones Season 5 Update: Maisie Williams Talks Arya Stark, Lady Stoneheart, and Surprises
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona, Man Utd to Compete for Juan Cuadrado's Signature as Fiorentina Reveal Willingness to Sell