United Consider Shock Bid for Liverpool Contract Rebel - Report
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | December 2, 2012 7:58 PM EST
Manchester United are considering a surprise transfer bid for Liverpool teenager Raheem Sterling. The Mirror suggests Sir Alex Ferguson wants the 17-year-old as a long-term replacement for unhappy Portuguese winger Nani.
Sterling is currently negotiating a new contract (reflective of his inclusion in the first team) at Anfield but discussions have stalled over wages. An earlier IBTimes UK report suggested the youngster wanted £50,000 per week to remain with the Merseyside club and the club's opening offer of £20,000 was rejected. Since then a £30,000 compromise has been reported but there has been no official announcement.
The stalled talks led the Reds' manager, Brendan Rodgers, to warn his young star to focus on football and professional development rather than his pay cheque, particularly so early on in his career. Unfortunately for the Northern Irishman, the player's camp did not react well to his warnings, which has only increased speculation the youngster may opt to leave Anfield.
However, any move to Old Trafford will be an acrimonious one; there has been no direct transfer between the clubs since Phil Chisnall's move almost 50 years ago. The most recent case was that of Argentinean left back Gabriel Heinze, who was forced to go from Old Trafford to Spanish champions Real Madrid instead of Liverpool, as the player wanted.
Rodgers Pleased with Lucas' Recovery
Meanwhile, Rodgers declared himself delighted with the return of Brazilian Lucas Leiva. The 25-year-old defensive midfielder started the Premier League game at home against Southampton, marking his recovery from a thigh injury early this season.
"My plan was to give him 60-65 minutes, but he was comfortable and it was probably only in the last 10 minutes that he started to tire, which is when I took him off. It was a very, very good performance for him and it's great to see him back playing," the ex-Swansea City manager said to his club's Web site after the game.
The Reds won 1-0, thanks to a header from Danish international centre back Daniel Agger.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
- Miranda Kerr Broke Her Silence: Not Pregnant With James Packard’s Baby [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Trading Jeremy Lin Was A Huge Mistake For Houston Rockets
- Roger Federer Dedicates 80th Career Title For His Kids
- Arsenal FC: Wenger Satisfied Despite Coming Out with a Draw against Besiktas
- Manny Pacquiao To Gauge KO Power Against Chris Algieri
- Serena Williams and Rumoured Boyfriend Patrick Mouratoglou Spotted on a Date in NYC
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists