United Consider Shock Bid for Liverpool Contract Rebel - Report
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | December 2, 2012 7:58 PM EST
Manchester United are considering a surprise transfer bid for Liverpool teenager Raheem Sterling. The Mirror suggests Sir Alex Ferguson wants the 17-year-old as a long-term replacement for unhappy Portuguese winger Nani.
Sterling is currently negotiating a new contract (reflective of his inclusion in the first team) at Anfield but discussions have stalled over wages. An earlier IBTimes UK report suggested the youngster wanted £50,000 per week to remain with the Merseyside club and the club's opening offer of £20,000 was rejected. Since then a £30,000 compromise has been reported but there has been no official announcement.
The stalled talks led the Reds' manager, Brendan Rodgers, to warn his young star to focus on football and professional development rather than his pay cheque, particularly so early on in his career. Unfortunately for the Northern Irishman, the player's camp did not react well to his warnings, which has only increased speculation the youngster may opt to leave Anfield.
However, any move to Old Trafford will be an acrimonious one; there has been no direct transfer between the clubs since Phil Chisnall's move almost 50 years ago. The most recent case was that of Argentinean left back Gabriel Heinze, who was forced to go from Old Trafford to Spanish champions Real Madrid instead of Liverpool, as the player wanted.
Rodgers Pleased with Lucas' Recovery
Meanwhile, Rodgers declared himself delighted with the return of Brazilian Lucas Leiva. The 25-year-old defensive midfielder started the Premier League game at home against Southampton, marking his recovery from a thigh injury early this season.
"My plan was to give him 60-65 minutes, but he was comfortable and it was probably only in the last 10 minutes that he started to tire, which is when I took him off. It was a very, very good performance for him and it's great to see him back playing," the ex-Swansea City manager said to his club's Web site after the game.
The Reds won 1-0, thanks to a header from Danish international centre back Daniel Agger.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28