David Beckham Ends LA Galaxy Career with 2012 MLS Cup
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | December 2, 2012 7:33 PM EST
David Beckham played his final game for Major League Soccer's (MLS) Los Angeles Galaxy on 1 December. The championship game against Houston Dynamo ended in a 3-1 win for the Galaxy, with former Premier League forwards Robbie Keane and Landon Donovan among the scorers.
The evening could have been very different for the former Manchester United and Real Madrid star. Dynamo took the lead with a goal by Calen Carr but Bruce Arena's side replied with defender Omar Gonzalez on the hour mark before two penalties, one for a Ricardo Clark handball and the other for a foul by goalkeeper Tally Hall, were dispatched. Ex-Everton man Donovan scored the first, while former Spurs and Liverpool striker Keane won and converted the second.
Beckham, meanwhile, had a quiet but clean game for the Galaxy and the ex-England national team captain kept the midfield ticking over for his side, despite not enjoying the majority of possession. The 37-year-old midfielder's LA Galaxy career came to an end in injury time, when he was substituted for Marcelo Sarvas. The Englishman left the field to confetti-strewn applause from a 30,000-strong crowd. After the whistle Beckham said that while he would no longer play for the Galaxy, he would always hold the club in high regard and hoped to be able to remain in an another capacity.
"I am sad that this is the end. This is a very special place for me and it will continue to be. I am happy to have been part of this club for six years and I am grateful to have been successful for the last four years. I may not play here anymore but I remain just as committed to growing this club, this league and this sport," he explained.
Beckham won two MLS Cups (2011 and 2012), two MLS Supporters' Shields (2010 and 2011) and six MLS Western Conference titles (three in the regular season - 2009, 2010 and 2011, and three in the play-offs - 2009, 2011 and 2012) during his time at The Home Depot Center.
The veteran remains one of the highest profile sportsmen in the world and is being linked with a number of clubs. Among the teams touted as future destinations are French clubs Paris St Germain (PSG) and second division side AS Monaco.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Lionel Messi's Gunners Link a Ploy to Receive Improved Deal
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown