David Beckham Ends LA Galaxy Career with 2012 MLS Cup
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | December 2, 2012 7:33 PM EST
David Beckham played his final game for Major League Soccer's (MLS) Los Angeles Galaxy on 1 December. The championship game against Houston Dynamo ended in a 3-1 win for the Galaxy, with former Premier League forwards Robbie Keane and Landon Donovan among the scorers.
The evening could have been very different for the former Manchester United and Real Madrid star. Dynamo took the lead with a goal by Calen Carr but Bruce Arena's side replied with defender Omar Gonzalez on the hour mark before two penalties, one for a Ricardo Clark handball and the other for a foul by goalkeeper Tally Hall, were dispatched. Ex-Everton man Donovan scored the first, while former Spurs and Liverpool striker Keane won and converted the second.
Beckham, meanwhile, had a quiet but clean game for the Galaxy and the ex-England national team captain kept the midfield ticking over for his side, despite not enjoying the majority of possession. The 37-year-old midfielder's LA Galaxy career came to an end in injury time, when he was substituted for Marcelo Sarvas. The Englishman left the field to confetti-strewn applause from a 30,000-strong crowd. After the whistle Beckham said that while he would no longer play for the Galaxy, he would always hold the club in high regard and hoped to be able to remain in an another capacity.
"I am sad that this is the end. This is a very special place for me and it will continue to be. I am happy to have been part of this club for six years and I am grateful to have been successful for the last four years. I may not play here anymore but I remain just as committed to growing this club, this league and this sport," he explained.
Beckham won two MLS Cups (2011 and 2012), two MLS Supporters' Shields (2010 and 2011) and six MLS Western Conference titles (three in the regular season - 2009, 2010 and 2011, and three in the play-offs - 2009, 2011 and 2012) during his time at The Home Depot Center.
The veteran remains one of the highest profile sportsmen in the world and is being linked with a number of clubs. Among the teams touted as future destinations are French clubs Paris St Germain (PSG) and second division side AS Monaco.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rugby Sevens Semis & Finals Live Stream, Schedule & Results – Commonwealth Games 2014
- A Beautiful Distraction: 5 Things You Need to Know About Sabina Altynbekova
- Boxing News 2014: 50 Cent Hits Mayweather Over Money Deal, Mocks Boxer in Instagram for Losing GF to Nelly
- Maria Sharapova Overtaken by Eugenie Bouchard in Poll of Sexiest Women in Tennis
- Commonwealth Games 2014 Live Stream: Athletics Schedule & Results
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]
- Sony Xperia Z3 Specs Leaked with More Killer Features Ahead of Samsung Galaxy Note 4, iPhone 6