Charred Bodies Found after Highway Tunnel Collapses in Japan [VIDEO]
By Geetha Pillai | December 2, 2012 6:32 PM EST
Charred bodies have been found inside a busy highway tunnel that has collapsed to the west of Tokyo, trapping several vehicles and their occupants.
The Sasago tunnel is one of the longest in Japan and links the capital to the city of Nagoya. It collapsed at around 8am on 2 December local time (11pm GMT 1 December). The tunnel is around 80km (50 miles) west of Tokyo.
Rescue efforts have been halted because of fears that the 4.3km (2.7-mile) tunnel may collapse further and officials do not know how many people remain trapped inside. Footage aired by NHK television showed black smoke rising out of the tunnel.
Closed-circuit images from inside the tunnel showed that a 100m (328ft) section had caved in on the Tokyo-bound side of the Chuo Expressway, in Yamanashi prefecture.
"We don't know exactly how many vehicles are on fire," a traffic police official told AFP. He said one woman had been taken to the hospital as she came out of the tunnel. The cause of the collapse is not yet known.
Click here for video from the accident scene.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Washington Redskins 20, Dallas Cowboys 17 (OT) [PHOTOS]
- Emma Watson Gets 'Squished' In 'Colonia Dignidad' [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Brisbane Woman Performs Sex With Dog, Gets Charged With Bestiality
- Top 5 Halloween 2014 Costume Ideas For Teen Boys
- Google Loses Lawsuit Against Canadian Woman Over Breast Exposure
- The Pirate Bay Termed As Assault On Humanity By RIAA
- ISIS Parades 30 Sunni Tribesmen Before Shooting Them Dead In Iraqi Town
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight