Melted Portion of Arctic Ice Larger Than the Size of United States
By Jenalyn Villamarin | December 2, 2012 10:44 AM EST
The United Nations Weather Agency confirmed that a portion of the Arctic Ice melted with a size area larger than the United States.
The World Meteorological Organization (WMO) also stated at the climate talks in Doha that the 2012 Arctic ice melt is one of the numerous weather events to occur on planet Earth.
The reported ice melt from the month of March to September was an astounding 11.83 million square kilometers which is greater than the area of the United States.
"The alarming rate of its melt this year highlighted the far-reaching changes taking place on Earth's oceans and biosphere. Climate change is taking place before our eyes and will continue to do so as a result of the concentrations of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere, which have risen constantly and again reached new records," Michel Jarraud, WMO Secretary-General, stated.
This awful climate news drastically strengthened the global warming issues. In a conducted study, a group of scientists examined the data gathered to conclude on how much ice loss there was in Greenland and Antarctica. Results showed that the ice sheets covering Greenland and Antarctica are now melting three times as much ice yearly as they did back in the 1990s.
Annually, Greenland and Antarctica drop approximately 344 billion tons of ice and these ice melts increase the sea-level at around 1 millimeter. Since 1992, the team of scientists declared that the trend has already contributed 11 millimeters which is an estimated 20% of the total sea-level increase.
Scientists further added that it will take years to widen models that can calculate how fast sea levels will rise by the end of the century.
"It remains unclear if such losses will decline or will level off or will accelerate further. The melting needs monitoring to further understand the ice sheet processes leading to the change," Ian Joughin, a glaciologist at the University of Washington in Seattle, declared.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Has ‘Strict Style Guide,’ Expected To Wear Winter Wardrobes During Pregnancy
- Bizarre Sex Abuse: Man Licks Woman’s Foot in Canada, Runs Away With Her Shoe
- New Zealand Pre-schooler Suffers Attack For Wearing A Jewish Cap; Anti-Semitic Act Condemned
- Australia's Direct Action Policy To Increase Projected Emmisions By 2020 -- UN Report
- Canadian Soldier Dies in 'Freak Accident' at Work
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation