Katy Perry Accepts Billboard's Woman of the Year Award
By Simi John | December 1, 2012 11:22 PM EST
Katy Perry has received her award as Billboard magazine's Woman of the Year.
"I'd thought my year was over, that it was time to pass the baton. But I guess I get to hold onto it until the end of the year [laughs]. It's truly a lovely compliment. Seeing who has been honoured in the past - Beyonce, Taylor Swift and others - I'm in good company," Perry said in an interview with Jon Stewart.
Back then, things weren't looking so good. Perry kicked off 2012 in a slump after her former husband Russell Brand filed for divorce just before New Year, but she had big things in store. Her career hit new heights with the extended and repackaged album, Teenage Dream: The Complete Confection. Part of Me, the lead single from the album, earned the star her seventh career number one.
At Capitale for the Billboard Women In Music Luncheon, Perry looked gorgeous on the red carpet. She wore a figure hugging dress from Oscar de la Renta, combining it with an EFFY ring.
When asked how was the last two years had been, the singer replied, "It feels like the record that never ends [laughs]. I'm glad I'm still alive - 27 has been a very testing year. I feel I'm in the same position I was in after I made the first record. I toured [on] that and then made the second record and toured that. Now I'm at an in-between position again. But I'm not scared or feeling uncertain. It's still about coming from a very honest place to reconnect with my core."
Billboard editor Bill Werde explained that Billboard had chosen Perry as its Woman of the Year after being impressed by the emotional honesty of her tour movie, Katy Perry: Part of Me.
"I left the movie theater inspired by... Katy's strength, as did so many others around the country and the world. The staff discussed the Woman of the Year idea and within a week or two we had reached out to her management," Werde wrote.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- 'Star Wars 7': Luke Skywalker Exiled, Turns Into Powerful Wizard
- ‘Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice’: Leaked Videos Show Batmobile In Motion; Vehicle Reportedly 'Stolen'
- ‘Avengers: Age of Ultron’: Black Panther Powerful Than Ultron, Can Be New Iron Man
- The Pirate Bay Founder Gottfrid Svartholm Trial’s Second Week: TPB Founder’s Co-Defendant Answers Questions Plus Jacob Appelbaum Appears
- Miley Cyrus Naked Picture In Bathroom: 'Bangerz' Singer Shares The Racy Picture With Fans
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date