"The euro is a currency with a state", says ECB's Coeure
December 1, 2012 10:28 PM EST
European Central Bank policymaker Benoit Coeure urged euro zone governments on Saturday to forge a closer political union, arguing "the euro is a currency with a state" whose branches of government need more clearly defining.
At an economic forum in Paris, Coeure said the ECB had acted to prevent the break-up of the euro by agreeing its new bond-purchase program, dubbed Outright Monetary Transactions (OMT).
OMTs aim "to price out a type of catastrophic risk premium that investors demand in conditions of market paralysis," Coeure said in the text of a speech for delivery at the forum.
"It was breakdown risk in the early stage of the crisis, the risk that the payments system would seize up completely. It is break-up risk now," he added.
The ECB will do everything within its mandate "to ensure price stability in the euro area and therefore trust in the euro as a currency," he said.
But he added that the euro zone needed closer political cooperation to coordinate crisis management policies.
"The notion that the euro is a currency without a state is in my view misguided," he said. "The euro is a currency with a state - but it's a state whose branches of government are not yet clearly defined."
Former ECB President Jean-Claude Trichet's idea for a euro area Treasury would be an important step in bringing greater clarity to the role of government in the bloc, Coeure said.
"The ECB is independent and fully accountable, but it needs clearly identifiable and fully empowered interlocutors," he added.
(Reporting by Lionel Laurent; Writing by Paul Carrel, Editing by Gareth Jones)
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- 5 Food Scandals That Shocked The World
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Iran Leader Asks Muslims to Supply Arms to Palestine, Calls Israel ‘Rapacious Wolf’