Samsung Eyes 50% Stake in Indian Handset Market by 2013
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | December 1, 2012 7:08 PM EST
Opening Kolkata's first Samsung brand store on Friday, Asim Warsi Vice-President (Mobile), Samsung Electronics, India, said: "Next year, we will like to have 50 percent market share in overall mobile phone market, including smartphones and feature phones," as quoted by the Indo Asian News Service.
Samsung, the market leader in smartphone market, currently enjoys a market share of 40 percent in India's 45,000-crore handset market and the company is gaining 10 percent share growth every year.
"We are gaining 10 percent of the mobile phone market each year. Presently, the market share is 40 percent," Warsi added.
He also said the company targets to open 20 more outlets across the country in order to increase the mobile phone market penetration. In India, the company has two other stores in Delhi and Ahmedabad and has a manufacturing unit at Noida. According to Warsi, the budget and feature phone market in the country would continue to draw its market share even when the smartphones grow at a fast pace.
Globally, Samsung continued to dominate the smartphone market by controlling a market share of 32.5 percent. According to a latest report by research firm Gartner, in the third quarter Samsung totalled a sales figure of 55 million smartphones whereas Apple accounted 23.6 million units of smartphone sales, touching a 14 percent share of the global smartphone market.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tesco Facing Crisis After Chairman Quits Citing Accounting Scandal In The Retail Giant
- Australian Federal Court Fines Reebok $350,000 & Orders Refunds For Shoe Endorsed By Miranda Kerr That Claims Unproven Health Benefits
- Perth Call Centre Staff Bad In English And Not Philippine And Indian Counterparts, Telstra Boss Says
- #Snapgate: iPad Air 2 Breaks While Undergoing Bend Test
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS