Samsung Eyes 50% Stake in Indian Handset Market by 2013
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | December 1, 2012 7:08 PM EST
Opening Kolkata's first Samsung brand store on Friday, Asim Warsi Vice-President (Mobile), Samsung Electronics, India, said: "Next year, we will like to have 50 percent market share in overall mobile phone market, including smartphones and feature phones," as quoted by the Indo Asian News Service.
Samsung, the market leader in smartphone market, currently enjoys a market share of 40 percent in India's 45,000-crore handset market and the company is gaining 10 percent share growth every year.
"We are gaining 10 percent of the mobile phone market each year. Presently, the market share is 40 percent," Warsi added.
He also said the company targets to open 20 more outlets across the country in order to increase the mobile phone market penetration. In India, the company has two other stores in Delhi and Ahmedabad and has a manufacturing unit at Noida. According to Warsi, the budget and feature phone market in the country would continue to draw its market share even when the smartphones grow at a fast pace.
Globally, Samsung continued to dominate the smartphone market by controlling a market share of 32.5 percent. According to a latest report by research firm Gartner, in the third quarter Samsung totalled a sales figure of 55 million smartphones whereas Apple accounted 23.6 million units of smartphone sales, touching a 14 percent share of the global smartphone market.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Apple Inc (AAPL) Stock May Reach $150; First Trillion Company Talks, iPhone 6 and Apple Watch Boost Price
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon
- Travel Alert: Frequent Flyer Tie-Up Between Virgin Australia, South African Airways Enhanced
- Walmart Canada Feeling The Heat As Grocery War Intensifies
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James
- HTC One M8 Android 5.0 Lollipop Release Delayed: Other Schedule and Installation Guide