Samsung Eyes 50% Stake in Indian Handset Market by 2013
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | December 1, 2012 7:08 PM EST
Opening Kolkata's first Samsung brand store on Friday, Asim Warsi Vice-President (Mobile), Samsung Electronics, India, said: "Next year, we will like to have 50 percent market share in overall mobile phone market, including smartphones and feature phones," as quoted by the Indo Asian News Service.
Samsung, the market leader in smartphone market, currently enjoys a market share of 40 percent in India's 45,000-crore handset market and the company is gaining 10 percent share growth every year.
"We are gaining 10 percent of the mobile phone market each year. Presently, the market share is 40 percent," Warsi added.
He also said the company targets to open 20 more outlets across the country in order to increase the mobile phone market penetration. In India, the company has two other stores in Delhi and Ahmedabad and has a manufacturing unit at Noida. According to Warsi, the budget and feature phone market in the country would continue to draw its market share even when the smartphones grow at a fast pace.
Globally, Samsung continued to dominate the smartphone market by controlling a market share of 32.5 percent. According to a latest report by research firm Gartner, in the third quarter Samsung totalled a sales figure of 55 million smartphones whereas Apple accounted 23.6 million units of smartphone sales, touching a 14 percent share of the global smartphone market.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Celebrities Suffering From Lupus: Facts About the Disease
Join the Conversation
- Malaysia Airlines Considers Changing Name After MH370 and MH17 Tragedies
- Fast Food Meat Scandal: McDonald’s Suspend Nuggets and McSpicy Chicken Filets
- Air New Zealand Flies Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner
- Solution to Your Old Unwanted Phones Comes with MobileMuster Scheme
- IBM Named Leader in Worldwide Managed Security Services
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]