Samsung Eyes 50% Stake in Indian Handset Market by 2013
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | December 1, 2012 7:08 PM EST
Opening Kolkata's first Samsung brand store on Friday, Asim Warsi Vice-President (Mobile), Samsung Electronics, India, said: "Next year, we will like to have 50 percent market share in overall mobile phone market, including smartphones and feature phones," as quoted by the Indo Asian News Service.
Samsung, the market leader in smartphone market, currently enjoys a market share of 40 percent in India's 45,000-crore handset market and the company is gaining 10 percent share growth every year.
"We are gaining 10 percent of the mobile phone market each year. Presently, the market share is 40 percent," Warsi added.
He also said the company targets to open 20 more outlets across the country in order to increase the mobile phone market penetration. In India, the company has two other stores in Delhi and Ahmedabad and has a manufacturing unit at Noida. According to Warsi, the budget and feature phone market in the country would continue to draw its market share even when the smartphones grow at a fast pace.
Globally, Samsung continued to dominate the smartphone market by controlling a market share of 32.5 percent. According to a latest report by research firm Gartner, in the third quarter Samsung totalled a sales figure of 55 million smartphones whereas Apple accounted 23.6 million units of smartphone sales, touching a 14 percent share of the global smartphone market.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop