Samsung Eyes 50% Stake in Indian Handset Market by 2013
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | December 1, 2012 7:08 PM EST
Opening Kolkata's first Samsung brand store on Friday, Asim Warsi Vice-President (Mobile), Samsung Electronics, India, said: "Next year, we will like to have 50 percent market share in overall mobile phone market, including smartphones and feature phones," as quoted by the Indo Asian News Service.
Samsung, the market leader in smartphone market, currently enjoys a market share of 40 percent in India's 45,000-crore handset market and the company is gaining 10 percent share growth every year.
"We are gaining 10 percent of the mobile phone market each year. Presently, the market share is 40 percent," Warsi added.
He also said the company targets to open 20 more outlets across the country in order to increase the mobile phone market penetration. In India, the company has two other stores in Delhi and Ahmedabad and has a manufacturing unit at Noida. According to Warsi, the budget and feature phone market in the country would continue to draw its market share even when the smartphones grow at a fast pace.
Globally, Samsung continued to dominate the smartphone market by controlling a market share of 32.5 percent. According to a latest report by research firm Gartner, in the third quarter Samsung totalled a sales figure of 55 million smartphones whereas Apple accounted 23.6 million units of smartphone sales, touching a 14 percent share of the global smartphone market.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- ISIS Wants $6.6M and Release of Aafia Siddiqui in Exchange of Head of Female US Humanitarian Aid Worker, 1st American Fighting for Jihadis Dead
- James Foley Torture Involves CIA Waterboarding Technique
- Ukraine Ceasefire Looks Remote As Putin Talks Tough At Meeting With Poroshenko