Update Nexus 4 to Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean with ParanoidAndroid ROM [How to Install]
By Vinod Yalburgi | December 1, 2012 6:46 PM EST
Nexus 4 has been hogging the limelight for quite some time with a recent flurry of custom ROM Jelly Bean updates thronging the smartphone notwithstanding. The Nexus smartphone earlier tasted the latest Android 4.2 update through a spate of custom ROMs including AOKP, Slim Bean, JellyTime, Stock Rooted and De-Odexed ROM as well as Xylon custom ROM.
Now, ParanoidAndroid ROM joins the long list of custom ROM Jelly Bean firmware for the premium Nexus smartphone. The hybrid ROM goes one step ahead in introducing the new Android 4.2.1 incremental update, besides the hybrid phone and tablet UI (User Interface) for the Nexus 4 device.
The ROM brings a rich set of customisation features and is built on the stock JOP40D firmware. It must, however, be noted that it is not an official release, but a custom ROM firmware based on stock release from developers.
Key Points to Note
- The ParanoidAndroid ROM and the instructions provided in this guide are applicable for the Nexus 4 smartphone only and will not work with any other device. Verify your device's model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone.
- IBTimes UK advises users to backup apps, important data and settings to avoid risk of data loss while flashing the ParanoidAndroid ROM on the Nexus 4. By the way, users are also cautioned against using either PC Suite or ROM Manager for data backup, as it might corrupt the software or brick the device completely. Instead, it is recommended to use the manual backup procedure provided in this guide.
- Download the Root Checker app from Google Play Store to verify if your device is actually rooted or not. Make sure that your device's bootloader is unlocked and rooted with ClockworkMod Recovery preinstalled on it before proceeding with the ROM installation steps.
- The instructions provided in this guide are meant for reference purpose only and do not cover any warranty claims involving device damage or issues arising out of using the Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean firmware update. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
How to Update Nexus 4 to Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean with ParanoidAndroid ROM
- Download the Paranoid Android Custom ROM Firmware Package (with Google Apps and latest bug-fix) from here to your computer.
- After the download completes, connect your phone to the computer using the original USB cable and copy all the zip files to the root folder on your device's SD card and then disconnect the device.
- After copying the files to the phone, disconnect the device from computer and download the ROM Manager app from Google Play Store and choose Enter device into Recovery Mode.
- In Recovery, choose the tasks Wipe data/factory reset and Wipe Cache partition. Then, hit advanced and wipe the Dalvik cache so that all the cache data is erased. Now, in recovery mode, choose Install zip from sd card and then browse and select the zip package which you copied to your phone earlier. First, install the Paranoid Android Custom ROM Firmware Package, and then repeat the step for Google Apps and FIX in that order.
- After all three packages are installed, you will need to select Go back and choose Reboot System Now for rebooting the device in normal mode. It must be noted that it may take about 5 to 7 minutes to reboot the device in normal mode.
- ParanoidAndroid ROM based Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean update is now installed on your Nexus 4. Go to Settings > About Phone to verify the firmware version installed. By chance if the firmware is not updated correctly, you need to retry the process of applying this update.
NOTE: In the rare case if the device fails to boot up or display the home screen then remove the battery and reinsert it to boot the device again in normal mode.
[Source: Android Advices]
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- 16GB iPhone 6 for $99 at Sam’s Club is the Best 2014 Black Friday Deal Around
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510