David Blaine Stuns Meryl Streep By Apparently Eating Wineglass At Charity Gala
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | December 1, 2012 2:04 PM EST
Meryl Streep doesn’t fool easily: The 17-time Academy Award nominee has seen a lot in her more than 40-year acting career, but a stunt she witnessed by illusionist David Blaine on Thursday night left her stunned.
Blaine is best known for his audacious and often death-defying endurance performances, such as encasing himself in a block of ice for days, suspending himself in a Plexiglas case for 44 days without food, and electrifying himself.
On Thursday, the endurance artist and illusionist made an appearance at a celebrity-studded gala hosted by the Christopher and Dana Reeve Foundation and apparently sought out Streep. Blaine approached a table where Streep and Harvey Weinstein were seated, snatched a wineglass from their table, and proceeded to eat it in front of them, according to a New York magazine correspondent who attended the black-tie event.
Streep reportedly looked entertained for a few moments before her features transitioned into an expression of pure shock, even covering her mouth with both hands in one photograph taken at the event.
When the New York magazine correspondent approached Blaine after the stunt, the illusionist's mouth showed no sign of either bleeding or other injury. Blaine reportedly picked glass off his tongue, before casually explaining that he doesn’t perform the trick often because he’s been urged not to do it.
"I'm not allowed to do [the trick] often, because I get in trouble for it. But I really like to do it," said Blaine. After leaving the table, he proceeded to entertain guests by performing card tricks.
View the video below to see Blaine performing the trick at a casino.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- The Burka Avenger Educates Children While Fighting For Girls' Education Rights In New Pakistan TV Show
- Christopher Walken To Play Mob Boss In Film Adaptation Of Four Seasons Musical 'Jersey Boys'
- William Cantrell Mistakes Human Ashes For Cocaine, May Have Snorted Remains
- Giant Alligator Eats 80-Pound Dog In North Carolina, Gator May Still Be Alive
- Steve McQueen's Last Ride, 1952 Custom Chevy Pickup Truck, Hits The Auction Block
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Meizu MX4 Pro To Arrive In November In Black And White Colours, Features Higher Than QHD Display, Exynos 5430 SoC And 3 GB RAM
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report