Mexican court enters preliminary $2.7 billion judgment against Yahoo
December 1, 2012 9:56 AM EST
A civil court in Mexico entered a preliminary $2.7 billion judgment against Yahoo Inc for breach of contract involving a yellow pages listings service, Yahoo said on Friday.
Yahoo said that it believes the claims are without merit and that it will vigorously pursue all appeals.
Shares of Yahoo were off 1.7 percent at $18.45 in afterhours trading on Friday.
The lawsuit was brought by Worldwide Directories S.A. de C.V. and Ideas Interactivas S.A. de C.V. against Yahoo and Yahoo de Mexico, Yahoo said.
"The plaintiffs alleged claims of breach of contract, breach of promise, and lost profits arising from contracts related to a yellow pages listings service," Yahoo said in a statement on Friday.
Yahoo said the ruling was a "non-final judgment" by the 49th Civil Court of the Federal District of Mexico City.
It was not immediately clear when the lawsuit was filed against Yahoo. Yahoo's most recent 10Q filing, which lists major ongoing litigation, makes no mention of the lawsuit.
Worldwide Directories and Ideas Interactivas could not immediately be reached for comment. Documents from local courts in Mexico are not available for public consultation.
(Reporting By Alexei Oreskovic; Editing by David Gregorio)
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs iPhone 6: Why Forecasts Favor Mi4 as The Next Best Phone Against iPhone 6
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists
- Companies Push Back IPO Plans Due to Mega Alibaba Share Launch
- Upcoming Sony Xperia Z3 With Dual-SIM Support Gets Approved In China; Full Specifications Revealed; Amber-Coloured Xperia Z3 Tipped