Mexican court enters preliminary $2.7 billion judgment against Yahoo
December 1, 2012 9:56 AM EST
A civil court in Mexico entered a preliminary $2.7 billion judgment against Yahoo Inc for breach of contract involving a yellow pages listings service, Yahoo said on Friday.
Yahoo said that it believes the claims are without merit and that it will vigorously pursue all appeals.
Shares of Yahoo were off 1.7 percent at $18.45 in afterhours trading on Friday.
The lawsuit was brought by Worldwide Directories S.A. de C.V. and Ideas Interactivas S.A. de C.V. against Yahoo and Yahoo de Mexico, Yahoo said.
"The plaintiffs alleged claims of breach of contract, breach of promise, and lost profits arising from contracts related to a yellow pages listings service," Yahoo said in a statement on Friday.
Yahoo said the ruling was a "non-final judgment" by the 49th Civil Court of the Federal District of Mexico City.
It was not immediately clear when the lawsuit was filed against Yahoo. Yahoo's most recent 10Q filing, which lists major ongoing litigation, makes no mention of the lawsuit.
Worldwide Directories and Ideas Interactivas could not immediately be reached for comment. Documents from local courts in Mexico are not available for public consultation.
(Reporting By Alexei Oreskovic; Editing by David Gregorio)
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage