Mexican court enters preliminary $2.7 billion judgment against Yahoo
December 1, 2012 9:56 AM EST
A civil court in Mexico entered a preliminary $2.7 billion judgment against Yahoo Inc for breach of contract involving a yellow pages listings service, Yahoo said on Friday.
Yahoo said that it believes the claims are without merit and that it will vigorously pursue all appeals.
Shares of Yahoo were off 1.7 percent at $18.45 in afterhours trading on Friday.
The lawsuit was brought by Worldwide Directories S.A. de C.V. and Ideas Interactivas S.A. de C.V. against Yahoo and Yahoo de Mexico, Yahoo said.
"The plaintiffs alleged claims of breach of contract, breach of promise, and lost profits arising from contracts related to a yellow pages listings service," Yahoo said in a statement on Friday.
Yahoo said the ruling was a "non-final judgment" by the 49th Civil Court of the Federal District of Mexico City.
It was not immediately clear when the lawsuit was filed against Yahoo. Yahoo's most recent 10Q filing, which lists major ongoing litigation, makes no mention of the lawsuit.
Worldwide Directories and Ideas Interactivas could not immediately be reached for comment. Documents from local courts in Mexico are not available for public consultation.
(Reporting By Alexei Oreskovic; Editing by David Gregorio)
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
- Taylor Swift's Famous Ex-Boyfriends: From Harry Styles To Joe Jonas [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Apple iPhone 6 vs. OnePlus One: With Invitation-Only Model Rested, OnePlus One Can Be A Real Threat To iPhone 6
- 3 Signs Nexus 6, 8 Release Date Nears: Leaked Pics, KitKat Factory Image & Android L Details Emerge
- ISIS Supporters are Walking Among the Many in the United States – Report
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build
- Samsung Aware Of Gap Issue On Galaxy Note 4, Mentions It As Important Manufacturing Feature In Note 4 User Manual
- ISIS Receives Food, Ammunition Due To Mistake Of Iraqi Pilots
- Airstrikes Against ISIS Has Claimed Innocent Lives In Syria, Dubbed ‘Ineffective’ By Jihadi Fighters, US Military To Ask For More Spending Money