Massive Ohio Sinkhole Closes Highway [VIDEO]
By Charles Poladian | December 1, 2012 8:59 AM EST
A giant sinkhole, more than 200 feet long, forced a stretch of highway to close, causing traffic delays and detours in Ohio's Dover Township. The sinkhole was caused by the collapse of a pond beside the roadway.
The Ohio sinkhole is neither your normal pothole nor the kind of rough patch of road that would wreak havoc on your suspension. The sinkhole measures 200 feet long, 100 feet wide, and 85 feet deep, WEWS-TV/NewsNet 5 reported.
Lloyd MacAdam, deputy director of the Ohio Department of Transportation's, or ODOT'S, District 11, said in a statement: “A section of [State Route] 516 has eroded due to the pond failure. Our engineers are currently reviewing the extent of damage to the roadway to determine necessary repairs.”
The sinkhole swallowed 40 to feet of State Route 516 between Blair Road and Josephine Street, WEWS-TV said.
The ODOT has closed SR 516 for the time being, and there is no timetable for when it will reopen the road. Traffic has been rerouted to State Route 39 and State Route 93, so motorists should expect delays.
The sinkhole was caused by dredging equipment that led the ground to shift during a sand and gravel operation, according to WEWS-TV.
Meanwhile, WOIO reported that the ODOT is currently working on the best way to fix the sinkhole and will consult with geotechnical experts next week.
The video below shows the sinkhole along with the damage it caused to SR 516. Officials from the ODOT were on-site assessing the damage.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- Mind Blown: Hello Kitty Is Not A Cat But A British Young Girl
- Missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 Search Update: New Information Surfaces, Gives ‘Better Idea Of Where The Jet Was Positioned And Travelling'
- Brazilian Women-Only-Town Says No To Marriage, Baptism And Rules Made Up By Men
- Authorities Said That Battalions of Russian Soldiers Are Flooding Ukraine
- Knee Defender Causes Altercation On A Plane: Know About The Device
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- ISIS Wants $6.6M and Release of Aafia Siddiqui in Exchange of Head of Female US Humanitarian Aid Worker, 1st American Fighting for Jihadis Dead
- Ukraine Ceasefire Looks Remote As Putin Talks Tough At Meeting With Poroshenko
- James Foley Torture Involves CIA Waterboarding Technique