L.A. Lakers News: Steve Nash And Steve Blake Injury Update
December 1, 2012 6:21 AM EST
Before the Los Angeles Lakers game with the Indiana Pacers on Tuesday, Mike D’Antoni was optimistic that he could have his two point guards back for the contest. Now, it looks like the head coach will be without his top two floor generals for longer than expected.
The fracture in Steve Nash’s leg doesn’t seem to be healing quickly. Right before L.A’s loss Indiana, Nash claimed that he was still unable to jog.
Nash expects to be out at least one more week. If he isn’t ready to play until after next Friday, he will miss at least the team’s next five games. Four of those will come against Western Conference opponents, including a matchup with the Oklahoma City Thunder, the club the Lakers were expected to compete with for the top spot on the conference.
The prognosis of backup Steve Blake is even worse. On Wednesday, an MRI revealed that he still has an abdominal strain, and it will keep him out for at least another two weeks, With Nash’s health improving at a snail’s pace, that could mean trouble for the Lakers.
Darius Morris has done an admirable job in his stint as the starting point guard, but he probably isn’t ready for the role he’s been put in. He played in less than one-third of the Lakers games last year, and has very little experience to be the point guard on a team with so many veterans.
L.A.’s offense might continue to struggle without Nash or Blake. Dwight Howard and Pau Gasol have struggled to find a rhythm, scoring less than 20 points in each of their last four games.
The one player who hasn’t been affected by the lack of a strong point guard is Kobe Bryant. He leads the NBA in scoring at 27.7 points per game.
The Lakers look to reach the .500 mark when they visit the Denver Nuggets on Friday night.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- USA Defeats Lithuania, 96-68; Americans Advance To Championship Round Of 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal’s Coach Reveals The Spanish Athlete Will Be Back On Court Soon
- Michael Schumacher Rehabilitation Update: F1 Champion In-Home Health Care And Services Consist Of 15 Medical Staff
- Miami Heat Prepare For Life Without LeBron James, To Feature More Of Wade And Bosh In New System
- Iggy Azalea Sex Tape: The Story So Far
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Superfight Won’t Happen Because Floyd Is Scared Of Left-Handed Boxers, Pacman - Bob Arum
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet
- Spice Dream Uno vs Xiaomi Redmi 1S: Android One Smartphone to Challenge The Existing Budget Friendly Smartphone