L.A. Lakers News: Steve Nash And Steve Blake Injury Update
December 1, 2012 6:21 AM EST
Before the Los Angeles Lakers game with the Indiana Pacers on Tuesday, Mike D’Antoni was optimistic that he could have his two point guards back for the contest. Now, it looks like the head coach will be without his top two floor generals for longer than expected.
The fracture in Steve Nash’s leg doesn’t seem to be healing quickly. Right before L.A’s loss Indiana, Nash claimed that he was still unable to jog.
Nash expects to be out at least one more week. If he isn’t ready to play until after next Friday, he will miss at least the team’s next five games. Four of those will come against Western Conference opponents, including a matchup with the Oklahoma City Thunder, the club the Lakers were expected to compete with for the top spot on the conference.
The prognosis of backup Steve Blake is even worse. On Wednesday, an MRI revealed that he still has an abdominal strain, and it will keep him out for at least another two weeks, With Nash’s health improving at a snail’s pace, that could mean trouble for the Lakers.
Darius Morris has done an admirable job in his stint as the starting point guard, but he probably isn’t ready for the role he’s been put in. He played in less than one-third of the Lakers games last year, and has very little experience to be the point guard on a team with so many veterans.
L.A.’s offense might continue to struggle without Nash or Blake. Dwight Howard and Pau Gasol have struggled to find a rhythm, scoring less than 20 points in each of their last four games.
The one player who hasn’t been affected by the lack of a strong point guard is Kobe Bryant. He leads the NBA in scoring at 27.7 points per game.
The Lakers look to reach the .500 mark when they visit the Denver Nuggets on Friday night.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Walking Is Superfood For Fitness; Celebrities Who Walk For Health
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Will Probably Pick Between Amir Khan Or Manny Pacquiao For Next Fight According to Uncle Jeff
- Maria Sharapova On Relationship With Grigor Dimitrov: ‘Everything Is Great’; Dimitrov Was Present At Sharapova’s First Round Match In China
- Tony Stewart Reveals Retirement Not In Options, Reflects On His Life After the Fatal Crash
- Sugar Ray Leonard Adds Fuel To Pacquiao-Mayweather Clamour
- Muslim NFL Player Husain Abdullah Penalised For Praying After Touchdown
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks
- Obama’s Bid To Blame Intelligence Chief For Inaction On ISIS Backfires: McCain Asks Obama To Admit Own Mistakes